1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about testosterone and libido

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Aug 30, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I am pretty certain that I want to go on testosterone in the future. Some of the physical affects such as baldness do worry me but I suppose that's just part of being male and you've got to take the rough with the smooth. I am also worried about how I'll look because I'm pretty certain I'll be one of those guys that always looks like a woman in the face. Still, it's a chance I will just have to take. My main concern about testosterone is increased libido. I'm 26 and have never had any need for sex in my life. I sometimes wonder if I'm borderline asexual because although I find people attractive, I have no desire to act on it at all. I thought it was because of my gender dysphoria but I think I've realized that it goes beyond that. The idea of physical or emotional intimacy makes me feel sick, regardless of my gender. Whatever it is, it's one thing about myself that I wouldn't want to change. At first, after realizing I was trans I was distraught that my chances of having a relationship in the future were ruined but as time has gone on, I've realized that I'm really happy with remaining celibate. Never even having gone as far as a kiss with anyone is probably the only thing that I don't regret about my life so far and I'm really worried about the increased libido guys describe when they go on testosterone. So many guys talk about being able to think about nothing but sex and that's not what I want for myself. I just wondered if anyone knew if there was a way around this, perhaps a lower dosage or something?

2. Dakeli27

I've heard that testosterone increases your libido, but it won't force you to do anything. If you want to avoid that, talk to a doctor before taking a smaller dose.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, even a low dose increased my libido. It's really one of those things that you'll have to learn to live with if you want to go on T since you cannot pick and choose the effects of it.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Oh no :frowning2: Perhaps I should rethink.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 06:11 PM ----------

I do want the physical affects of testosterone. I could even live with the baldness but not libido! :icon_sad: Is there any way to minimize it, like distractions etc How is that some cis men choose to remain celibate? Surely they can't have a high libido and they're cis?

5. AlexTheGrey

Libido is a weird thing. It can wax and wane for reasons entirely outside hormones, and it varies greatly from person to person. And some people see their libido as something that they want to or should tame and control, and are successful at it to varying degrees.

It is such a personal thing that I can't really give you a concrete answer on how you will react to T. Maybe your doctor can give you a better idea, but beyond that, it may do more than you want, it may not.

And those people who say they think of nothing of sex? I'd be willing to bet it is an exaggeration, and an expectation, and not a great indicator of reality.

6. Hexagon

Testosterone increased my libido, but the general consensus appears to be that it didn't make me sexual. So that's weird. Maybe it'll be the same for you.