1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot express my true self

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Yuki, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Yuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out a few months ago to my family and on facebook. I have no problem expressing myself around family and close friends. Now, I'm in a pharmacy school and feel like I'm in the closet all over again. I identify myself as being masculine guy with some feminine qualities. I act like how I normally would (while repressing my feminine qualities) around my classmates. It's very easy for me since that's how I acted my entire life until I came out. I did drop some hints here and there, but none of my close circle of (new) friends have figure out yet.

I find it depressing at times trying to repress my true self. Due to the profession and being around new people, I could not freely express myself or feel uncomfortable/exposed by doing so. Part of me just want to tell everybody but I feel not everyone needs to know and I should wait for someone to ask instead. I know some students in my class of 200 are gay because my gaydar went off. I'm sure some of them know that I'm gay. Being the introvert that I am, I could not introduce myself to random people especially with others around. I have a mild case of agoraphobia and that doesn't help at all with making new friends. No wonder I have so little friends as a high school, an undergrad and now a grad student.

I most definitely will join the GSA at my school and hopefully meet some new friends.
    Any advice for making new (gay) friends and expressing myself without feeling exposed/uncomfortable is greatly appreciated.