1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on lowering voice??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nero the Sable, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Nero the Sable

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but can anyone give advice on how to lower my voice without taking lessons or medication or anything...? (I don't think my mom would go for anything like that just yet...)

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try this.

[youtube]CCwI2GAwH3c[/youtube]

I don't really know if it works, but it's worth a try.

You can also tilt your head all the way up and hum deeply. It'll temporarily lower your voice, but be careful, because it might damage the vocal cords.

Good luck.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to describe, but try talking from your chest rather than your head. Also singing along to songs you like in a lower octave can help.

4. stormborn

this. also, practice, practice, practice.

5. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a really high voice and I changed it in about two days. I'm a singer and I have a fairly large vocal range, but I have difficulty switching between my head voice and chest voice. I tend to default to my head voice, which sucks because it gives me away all of the time. I told my vocal instructor that I wanted to sing the male part in a duet and she had me do this exercise where you hum in your nose and vocal mask and then go down on oo to strengthen and find your chest voice. I was practicing on my commute to school (about 45 min) and on the first day I was really shocked to find that my voice stayed low for about half of the day, I did it again the next day and it stayed all day. I've started doing it every day and my voice has been staying in the tenor-range all day. I don't think this will help in a day if you don't already have the notes, but if you just can't find them this will help, if you have them but they are weak it will strengthen them, and if you don't have the notes then warming up like this will eventually add lower notes but that will take a long time. (I'm not on testosterone yet, by the way.) I wish I could send you what the exercise is supposed to sound like. I'll look on youtube and see if I can find somebody doing the warm up. If I can't I hope my crude explanation can still help in some way.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2014 at 06:11 AM ----------

here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXrtNlSGwA
    She goes into a lot more detail then my couch did actually, but she does the vocal exercise towards the end of the video. Just start somewhere comfortable and go down as low as you can with out straining your voice. The resonance should make the notes come out stronger.

6. Nero the Sable

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... You... are the single most incredible being ever to come into existence.

7. Kimika

One tip that I can give is getting used to using your diaphragm to push air out instead of your throat. This can really help with either heightening or lowering your voice pitch. This really helps with volume and resonance so you don't sound whispery or cartoonish.

8. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I--I don't know how to respond to that...but, I hope that the exercises help you in some way! I was really disappointed to find that my voice went straight back up to mezzo-soprano after not doing the exercises one day:frowning2: So, I guess it is pretty temporary and only works if you keep doing the warm up every day.

If you have the means I also suggest taking a basic singing lesson, or asking a singer friend about vocal resonance and breathing. I think that if you practice talking lower keeping your breathing and vocal placement in mind it sounds more natural. I wish you luck!