1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humour and behaviour

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mattiemann2, Sep 5, 2014.

1. mattiemann2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys, since I came out last year (I'm 19 btw) I've been struggeling with a problem that's hardest for me to tackle. It's about behaving around other people, I'm talking about humour in this case. I don't know which humour I should set to 'my humour'.
    I'm an intern, so I'm around about 10 heterosexuals 5 days a week, 9 hours a day. They have a kinda different humour than most homosexuals I know. But I'm also around LGBT people every week for a couple of hours.

I just don't know which humour is 'mine' anymore. Should I be the kinda gay, annoying childish guy I am to some of my friends? Should I copy heterosexual humour (which is a bit macho and a lot of making fun of others in a hetero way)? Or should I just copy the persons' humour I'm talking with and clone it as good as possible?

Since I came out 'my humour' doesn't really exist anymore. I try to adapt to other people's humour a lot. You guys got experience with this? Any tips, help?

I know I should try to find my own way, but it's kinda hard to act your way when you think other people expect something different.

Greetings from a town at the northern border of the dutch bible belt! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Just make the jokes you want to make.

3. Really

Don't do what feels forced. Roll with whatever you find funny. Only say funny/witty things if they are funny to you.

4. wanderinggirl

I made awful dad jokes before I came out, I certainly won't stop now.

But I think what you're struggling with is fitting into straight culture as a gay guy among coworkers. I think generally nobody will care what jokes you make/what you act like as long as you are being genuine. Do you put on a front when you're among your gay friends?