1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Troubles?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nekoko, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wondered a bit, if any other trans guys and gals out there had trouble with picking their names after they started transitioning? For me it was really tough... I didn't really like the sound of the gender opposite versions of my given names... I never have actually even when I was little... (especially because people would use the gender opposite names to tease me in elementary school..) So I thought about several options... My mothers name? (because I was originally named for my father) I tried it at first but... it just didn't have as good a ring to it on me... what it finally took was... just talking to friends and my girlfriend, trying things out until I finally found the name that shouted "ME!" and I finally felt like "Oh my god! It's me! It's my name!" It was like a light switch flipped on and I knew there couldn't be any other name for me!

So... I dunno, I just wondered about how other trans people came about their monikers... Did anyone else struggle with finding their name? If no one else wants to share though I totally understand ^^;;

2. Acm

Acm Guest

My name was pretty much the first one that came to mind and I liked it a lot and felt like it suited me so I just stuck with that one. The only other one I've liked as much is already the name of 2 of my friends so it would be weird if I used it, so I'll probably just use it as a middle name.

3. AsheTheHuman

I'm not trans, but I am agendered and I do want to have an androgynous name. My (legal) name is Patrick, but I decided that I've changed so much in the past year or so that I want an entirely new name and not just Pat. Ash was the first one to spring to mind and I really liked it. I added the extra 'e' later to prevent people from thinking it was short for something.

4. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kind of funny, I'd considered Ash at one time myself! xP Buuut Its too close to the name of someone else close to me so I decided against it... Oh and the name I chose in the end was Elissa! In case anyone was curious I don't mind sharing that much~

Ashe is an awesome name btw I think the e just adds that little extra something! ^^

5. AsheTheHuman

Aww, thank you! I was actually writing a story with a character named Ash in it. Now I gotta change that character's name so I don't seem like an egotistical jerk :lol:

6. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good call. Ash is a great name, not that I have anything against Patrick or Pat--but there's an old SNL skit featuring a very gender-non-conforming character named Pat. And of course it didn't really put the whole thing in the most positive light--as the humor was always based around how "normal" people were always so confused as to whether Pat was a girl or a boy.

I've gone back and forth on what I would actually call myself--especially if I'm ever able to transition, or even if not--and even though I have a certain name I use here, I think I would probably stick with my real name (which has no female equivalent) and just force it to be female. I can't think of myself as any other name, so why not? Even if it's typically a male name--I mean, lots of names are now becoming girls' names which were always male for the longest time, i.e., Ryan, Skylar, Taylor, Tyler, Brendan, (even Ashley, Courtney, and Darcy used to be male names), etc. etc.

So I think I'd like to just gender bend it a bit and screw the convention. :slight_smile:

7. stormborn

i used to fret about it a lot, until i sort of ran out of time (i was moving and needed something to introduce myself by), i just kind of chose one that i like well enough (Elliott). :shrug:

8. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still trying to decide on a name to be honest. I don't like any of the male versions of my birth name, but I felt like I should stick with the same first letter so as of now I'm going by "Marshall" but even though I really like that name I feel like I'm forcing it onto myself sometimes. I think it suits me but it just hasn't clicked, you know? (also I sort of like the way the name Marshall looks a lot more than the way it sounds)

9. RaineyDaze

I really love my legal name (Cienna). It's very pretty and beautiful, but i don't want to be pretty/beautiful. I feel like I am Daemon, not Cienna. I've only come out to my few close friends. I wish my family would call me Daemon.

10. Female Name: Cierra
    Male Name: Christian

I'm very satisfied with the opposite gendered version of my name (or as close as I could get to it).

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, many give the name choice a bit of a thought...
    I think its a process... if you go through a process, your name might reflect that...
    I don't like the male given name... so I picked a unisex version... Jay... used as abbreviation for names starting with J...
    in the end I will pick a female name... on the list are alexandra, ash :slight_smile: , ember, laura, and heather .

Some pick a name their parents had in mind, or that of a friend or relative... some have found a name while reading a book, or that of a favourite character... but I think its true, a name will start to ring true to you :slight_smile:

12. birdking

the "opposite" of my name was Alan and I did not like that name so I went with Andy/Andrew

I like my name, but it took a long time to figure it out.

13. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My female name is Sarah, and there isn't really a male version of that, so I picked Jesse (I picked two first names really, Jesse Mark, but Mark is kind of a middle name). I first heard the name in Bridge to Teribithia, and I'd always really liked it. When I thought of it being my name, it seemed like it just fit and felt right.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Elissa is gorgeous :thumbsup:

When my mother was pregnant (back at that time and place) they had no fancy echography like nowadays, and the doctor told my parents "It's going to be a boy, because he's got a strong heartbeat!"

Guess what happened... :bang: :tears: -> this was my dad... :tears: -> me, years later

So I'm about to ask him about the original boy name he chosed back then... I feel like walking on eggshells, I don't want him to "suspect anything" right now... :icon_redf

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww thank you! ^.^

Oh wow, that sounds tough... >.< I hope it works out for the best though. I often thought of asking my mom what she would have named me if I were born female... Though I used the way she named my sisters as an example when choosing mine!
    Good luck to you! (*hug*)

16. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The friend I first came out to, the first person ever besides the school counselor helped me generate a list of 10 or so names I liked, by obsessively going through baby name things. With that I narrowed it down (also with hir help) to the one I liked best.
    Middle name was more of a struggle. Finally settled on my (deceased) Dad's name to honor him. Besides who uses middle names much anyways?
    It probably wasn't as hard for me as a lot of things, since I'm not ordinarily decisive. I am having a struggle with picking the best spelling though, because the long version of my preferred name (I want to keep options open for going by a multi-syllable name) ends in a different letter than the normal version of the name I want to go by verbally.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general, not really. On a first name basis, I had no problem at all. Middle names, not really. For some reason I knew I was going to stick with J as my middle initial even though I went back and forth on T and M as well.

The only thing I did have a problem with, even now, is overhearing my birth name in a conversation and I do a double take. It's weird.

18. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same thing in reverse happened to me ("it's going to be a girl!"), so I just asked my mom for my real name when I came out to her and went with it. I hope your dad's going to be happy they got it right after all, if he wanted a boy in the first place! (*hug*)

Nekoko: Elissa is a beautiful name! (*hug*)

19. stormborn

same, especially since my birth name sounds the same as a commonly used word... i still respond to it way too well :lol: