1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I go about talking to my sixth form college about changing details

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Sep 9, 2014.

1. itsAli

I want to talk to someone at college about changing my name on the registers to Ali, and having a new I.d with a picture of me presenting male and my preferred name, but
    A) I don't know if they'd let me, I don't know what they're like with transgender students.
    B) It costs £10 for a new I.D and that's £10 I don't have and can't afford to spend on something like that. *sigh*

2. Yosia

They should let you as there should never be discrimination of any kind in education. And maybe they might let you have a new ID for free? ^.^

3. itsAli

I don't think so, I went back yesterday and they charge for replacements now, so they'll probably charge me for it, but I guess just getting my name and photo changed in the database would help a little
    I already told my new english teacher I prefer being called Ali (not about pronouns though as I'm too scared) but I have the same media teachers from last year so they're used to my birth name, guess I could wait until University? (I have anxiety so this is hard for me)

4. JustJJx

Sorry to hear you have been anxious about this! :O *hugs*
    Umm, are you in contact with a doctor about your gender? They would understand if it was explained to them perhaps?

5. itsAli

No not yet, I still live at home, I go to a sixth form college, and they're not the most supportive so I'll wait to do all that when I move out and they can't say anything

6. JustJJx

Yeah, that sounds like the best thing to do, wait till you are ready and comfortable!
    Love ya hair by the way ^_^

7. itsAli

Yeah, less grief from them as well

Thank you :slight_smile: