1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're a tiny little thing"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RayXxx, Sep 9, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Those words keep ringing through my head. This isn't the first time someone has said this to me. I always get comments, at least every few months or less regarding my size or slimness. Every time I see cis guys (younger teens or young adults especially), I start to feel a deep sense of dread. As I was sitting in chemistry doing a lab, these cis guys at the table, who looked well fit, were talking about working out and going to the gym and stuff. Needless to say, this made me feel like shit. I became so butt hurt. I wish I could just go to the gym and get a nice build. I wish I could be at least 5'10. My male hood has been robbed from me, and instead of testosterone pumping through my blood I have annoying ass estrogen. I'm be honest, sick and tired of being called small. People just see me has this thin, small, weak-frail female. I can tell because they act more gentle around me. I hate it especially-I have this uncle-the way he treats my brother and I when we greet him is different. He shakes my brothers hand and acts sort of roughish with him, for me he acts all sweet and kisses my head and hugs me. I completly hate it. Along with other male family members, many of them shake my brothers hand and hug me. I hate this body. I want to be treated like a man, and even if I came out, I'm so small and feminine looking that it would be seen as a joke, even if I feel like a man deep down inside.

My brother seems to get sung the praises. Everyone comments on his height (on how he seems to keep getting taller), on all the babes he could get, since he is a better than average looking guy. And recently he got a convertible mustang. He has all these guy friends which he hangs out so he is gone often times on Friday and the weekends, whereas I just sit home sulking in my own misery with no bros or babes, all because of this stupid body. I've missed out on high school in this female body and all my youth wasted inside this jail cell. I don't know how much longer I can hold on. The days just get more and more painful as they pass by, and my life slips away before my very eyes. The man inside me is wilting away into nothing.

Thanks for hearing me out, I don't know how else to express my feelings but on here, at least as of now.

2. AsheTheHuman

(*hug*) I'm sorry you have to feel this way. I know you said they'd treat it as a joke, but would your parents still accept you if you come out? Even if takes a while and a lot of work, eventually they'd believe you. I know it's hard, but just keep hanging in there! Good luck! <3

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm sorry :frowning2:

I can relate to a lot of this, everyone treats me like I'm fragile and weak, my brother does stuff like that too, and I feel like my childhood was wasted by being trans, it sucks

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry. I'd always imagined myself as a fairly feminine guy (not face-wise, but height, mannerisms, etc), so it didn't bother me as much when people told me I was tiny. I'm also pretty muscular, but no where near any of the guys. You're not alone. Do you have a therapist?

5. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I'm going through the exact same thing. My suggestion is to take a look at the men around you in public. Society has this stereotype that cis men are tall and muscular and large, but in reality they're just like everyone else. They come in all shapes and sizes. Your size does not in any way determine whether or not you are a man or even masculine.
    I know this advice won't cure your feelings (because I'm still going through the same thoughts as you) but keeping it in the back of my mind really helps me, so maybe it'll help you.
    I have no advice on family members, unfortunately. Just know that you aren't alone. Hang in there.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, my femininity was robbed from me. I'm a 6'1 girl... Who now loves heels after fighting wearing them so long.

Yesterday I was 6'4.

One guy said to me "now you're a girl I can really look up to."

Made me feel good on some levels. The cashier said there nothing wrong with being tall. I told her I'm wearing heels. "Even better".

Point is, I know the feeling. But just opposite.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yeah, I hate being treated like a girl too. Which is why on chatrooms, I always say I'm a guy (because I AM a guy, but yeah)

And I notice whenever a girl comes into the chatroom, all the fun topics and pervy jokes just stop. Boring..

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My build may not be obvious from my photos but I played football (linemen) and wrestled. Nobody messed with me physically (though I was verbally taunted a lot). I wish and I'm not kidding that I could trade how we were treated. I'm sorry... (*hug*)

9. NatWheeled

Well, I'm not a trans but I feel I can relate to some extent. I've always been called cute, adorable, and lil. I'm 4'3" and struggle to lose the "cute lil girl in a wheelchair" image. My girlfriend even calls me cute a lot, but for some reason I don't mind when she does it, maybe because with her its more of a sexy cute, as opposed to Lil cute. Anyways, just thought I'd share...

10. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Thankyou all for your nice comments, I need to figure out how to tell people the truth about myself. I guess that's what's next.

11. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Ray

I don't know if this helps, but I'm a very slender guy, not as strong as your average guy even, but I'm a guy, know what I mean? My body is thin but what really counts is your spirit, what you feel on the inside - and if you identify as a guy then that's what you are. Ok I'm not trans so I'm aware that I can't really advise trans folks etc, but I thought it might encourage you to know, that when I saw your avatar pic, I immediately thought 'guy'. Right away, without reading anything. The thing with your folks is that obviously they have a preconceived notion that they have not been able to shake off as yet, but in time they probably will. :slight_smile:

#11 Damien, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  12. AlexTheGrey

It probably doesn't help that in media, if you aren't tall, then camera tricks get used to make you look taller to hide it. Tom Cruise is shorter than he looks. Danny DeVito is under 5' and nobody would question his masculinity.

There is the stereotype of the tall man, but there's no reason a man can't be short.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel guilty about saying I'm female online.

But like you said. That is what I am. I feel no guilt because there is nothing to be guilty of.

14. JustJJx

I have the same problem/opposite kind of!
    I'm a 6'1, large shouldered, big built genderfluid physical male!

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Napoleon was short too, and I think Frank Sinatra too...

I'm 5'2 and have a "fragile" air, and that means lots of people rushing to open the door for me and etc... Can't do much about it until I finally pass (I'm still far away from it, my checkbones and delicate jaw will betray me, also the damned voice)...

Most of the time, on the job or at the streets, they don't usually dare to treat me like "a cute little thing" because I have this way of moving, staring and looking that is definitely sending the message "Here I am, careful". I think it depends a lot of how self-assured you feel, then that is the message you are sending them, it doesn't matter you are 5'2 or 7 feet tall, if you really got something to say and you are 100% convinced of it, the others will listen.

Yes, the other guys are taller, but that doesn't mean you can't go to the gym and get some muscles, why not?

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a diminutive, feminine individual. And that's perpetually being brought to my attention. I understand your frustrations. :frowning2:

As far as being treated how you want. Demand it, and never settle for less. I'm not saying to throw off the masks we tend to put on when we're still in the closet with people, because we wear those for a reason and sometimes we're not ready to drop them all at once. But hell, don't passively let people hug you and tell you you're pretty if it bothers you. Go for the handshake. Don't even give anyone the opportunity to go in for the hug. Do it enough times and it'll become the norm. And the beautiful thing is that you don't need excuses to make little changes in how you're perceived and treated. Why would you rather shake hands? Because you'd rather shake hands, so what? That's the only reason you need, and no one should question you.

17. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Yea, my family members always comment on how wimpy my hugs are. I have thought about putting my hand out for them to shake but I get too nervous. I shouldn't care what they think but I don't want them to start questioning me. If I come out to everyone(ever), I will definitly start doing that.

18. And

And

I worry about the same kind of things Ray. I'm short as a woman, under five foot, so I'd be seen as a tiny man. What I try and remember though is that short men do exist. Once I'm passing nobody will have any reason to question that I'm a guy.

I'd much rather shake hands with family members too. I remember when they used to come and visit, when I was young, being forced to hug and kiss them. I couldn't stand it and remember sulking after they'd gone saying I wouldn't be forced to do that if I was a boy!

I get why you worry what your family think because I definitely do that to. I want to be stronger, to do what I'd like to without caring what anyone else will say, but I just can't. Small steps and we'll finally get there though.

19. Really

Just another story:

I knew a girl as a teenager who later became a man. She was a shrimp, really quite short, back then but had a wicked funny personality and was wildly entertaining in the plays she performed in.
    Last year (or the year before), he had a bit part on the show Modern Family. Still short but I'd say making a damn fine job of it working as a character actor - which can't be easy. Sorry can't remember his name but it was the episode where Claire was campaigning for city council.

So, guess what? It can be done.

20. anonym

anonym Guest

I am 5ft 3 and very slight with feminine features so I completely sympathize but try to look at it like this. There are cis men out there that are very short. I never realised it before and assumed all men were at least 5 ft 9 or above. I don't know how I missed it. Perhaps I was basing my assumptions on what I saw in the media and thought that was somehow an accurate representation of society and what existed out there in the world. Don't get me wrong, I hate being short and I hate being trans but what I am trying to say is in reality it is only a proportion of men are enviously tall with the ruggedly masculine features that I wish I had been born with. I mean I don't want to post pictures up of guys and start ripping them apart. That would be unfair but I would bet if I had been born male and wasn't tall, dark and handsome I will still feel kind of cheated in life, especially as it's those guys that always get the women. Meanwhile the short trans guy over here is 26 and still single :icon_redf