1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cisgenders: How do you know you're not trans*?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by peryler, Sep 9, 2014.

1. peryler

peryler Guest

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I have a few questions for cisgender ppl. I am hoping the answers will help me find/confirm my own gender and mean no offense by the questions. Thank you :slight_smile:

A. How do you know you are male/female?

1. Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender?
    2. Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations?
    B. To what extent do you embrace traditional gender roles/expectations?

1. Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female?
    2. What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.?
    C. How satisfied are you with your physical self?
    1. Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex?

#1 peryler, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  2. the haunted

**DISCLAIMER**
    Sorry if this makes me sound ignorant, but the concept of gender makes zero sense to me. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

A. How do you know you are female?
    The thought of actually being a male doesn't appeal to me. Sure, I feel extremely dude-ish quite often, but I don't feel trapped in a female body. I like my female body.

I often wonder: What makes someone female? What makes someone male? I feel like I have more of a masculine way about me, though.

2. Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations?
    Nope, just the gender roles and "feminine" expectations.

I don't. At all. I just do what I want to do. I don't think about gender expectations when living my life. If I want to cook and clean then I'll do it. If I want to fix my car, I'll do that to. I don't do/avoid things because of the gender they're associated with.

Male by their horrible binary standards.

2. What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.?
    I don't get it. I can't comprehend what that means. What makes something a "female mannerism"? Why can't people just be people. Women are all different, so how could you say something is "female" when we're all different? I think the idea of gender is really pointless, honestly. I think feeling trapped in a man/woman's body is a whole new barrel of monkeys though.

Quite satisfied. By societies standards, I'm just "boyish." Whatever the heck that means. I think there's masculine and feminine, but I just don't understand why it has to be tied to your genitalia in any way. Obviously there's feminine men and masculine women and everyone else along the spectrum. There are PLENTY of people who say "fuck you" to gender roles. If people are just ignoring them, then what's the point of the concept of gender? The binary is shit. Male and female should be things to describe your genitalia and that's it.

I've imagined myself as a male before. Like sometimes I'll see myself as a male when I imagine myself talking to someone else. But I don't long to have the body of a male.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2014 at 01:13 AM ----------

This thread got me heated, so I changed my gender. Lol.

3. peryler

peryler Guest

Thank you for your honest reply :slight_smile:

I think that gender is an unnecessary concept that has been established by efficiency-striving society of the past, and I have been calling myself agender for some time. Recently though, I've been feeling pretty unhappy w/ my female body (it's not really new, but that I feel it more keenly nowadays). I'm not sure if it's just a puberty phase, my chafing under increasing social expectations, or that "whole new barrel of monkeys", which I strongly doubt at this point.

Also, there's the scientific researches that show women/male brains differ. Some ppl use the research to validate transsexualism, and I'm totally fine w/ that, but it seems to throw a wench in the "gender = pointless" idea.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A. How do you know you are male/female? - I feel it. The mind matches the body. It isn't just my male body, but I am a guy through and through, mentally and physically.
    Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender? - Never questioned it. My gender has always been solid.
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations? - I have felt uncomfortable only in comparison to other guys--when they do things that make me ashamed of my gender.
    B. To what extent do you embrace traditional gender roles/expectations? - I often do not embrace them as a somewhat effeminate gay male. I tend to be somewhat submissive, I am not into a lot of traditional "guy things" that my straight friends are into.
    Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female? - Even if I don't match the traditional gender roles or expectations, it doesn't detract from how male I feel; I just acknowledge that guys can act a myriad of different ways, including outside of gender roles. I'm just as male as my muscular straight friend who likes talking about women, cars, and sports.
    What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.? - I find it interesting and I certainly do not think gender is unimportant or non-existent, but I really don't think men and women are so vastly different. We are different, but not so much that all the miscommunication needs to exist.
    C. How satisfied are you with your physical self? - Pretty satisfied. Not much I would change.
    Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex? - I have not. I am thoroughly attracted to the male body and glad that I have one too :slight_smile:

5. wanderinggirl

Not entirely sure but generally I feel ok with my gender, unless I ever decide my discomfort is due to gender.
    Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender?
    Quite often...
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations?
    It's hard to separate out societal expectations from personal gender feeling. I often identify with guys.
    Not at all, LOLZ
    Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female?
    More male than the average female I suppose.
    What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.?
    I love science, so i think this is really interesting and I want more of it funded, but I also don't think we should use it as definitive proof that someone is trans or not and use it to discriminate.
    I try to love myself; I prefer binding and I would prefer to be skinnier but I try hard not to slip into bad habits regarding my body image.
    Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex?
    In a way I feel like I don't particularly have a very feminine body. I'm curvy and I have breasts but I have smaller hips than some, a pretty small butt, and decent muscles. If I think of my body as feminine it doesn't feel ideal, but if I think of it as masculine I feel better about it. I definitely wish it were more androgynous. No bottom dysphoria though.

6. Foxface

A. How do you know you are male/female? I have a quite femme spirit, but I feel comfortable in my body. Imagining myself in a female-gender role just doesn't feel right for me

Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender? a few times, again only because my spirit is very femme and I wondered if I was really male.

Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations? My gender, no.

B. To what extent do you embrace traditional gender roles/expectations? Not terribly well. Though I think it's total BS, the typical feminine qualities of reservation, emotional response and all that are very me. But again...that's all BS anyway

Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female? Not really

What is your take on the scientific research that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.? I guess...I guess I kind of get it, because I am sure you'll find many people whose 'brains are not matching their gender' but to be totally honest I haven't looked into it much

C. How satisfied are you with your physical self? Other than my stomach, pretty darn satisfied. My face has androgynous lines which I love

Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex? nope

7. black-cat

I feel it. As well as me being physically female, I feel like a girl mentally. It is hard to explain, but it just feels right.
    I have wondered what it is like to be a boy, but nothing more than a quick giggle about what I would do with a day in the body of a guy, LOL.
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations?
    A few times, yeah. I don't like the way how my subject, school and career choices have been and will be impacted by the fact that I am a girl. "Pretty girls like you shouldn't be doing things like that".
    I come across about as comforting as a cactus, but I am surprisingly nurturing and motherly as I am getting older (jeez, next it will be a pension plan). I think overall I fit the gender roles well. The only thing that I think (and many others say) is that I have a very stubborn and "It will be fine, if not, get a hammer, hit it, and it will be fine" way of dealing with shit, but then again, this is an old mining town, ahhaha.
    A little, yes, I suppose. But I think that has a lot to do with the way I was rasied.
    What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.?
    I do believe that women's and men's brains are different, we work differently, though, I still totally believe that the gap in some people's brains between "female" and "male" is very little, if any in some people, and some people have a "female" brain inside a boys body, or vise vera, or some really lucky people get to have the best of all the worlds and have mannerisms and traits from both genders, creating their own little pool of splendidness.

I don't like my looks that much- but I am satisfied with my gender, and the way that is displayed in my body.
    Like I said earlier, nothing more than a quick giggle. But nothing more serious.

I apologise, I haven't slept for a long time, I get a little.. weird when I don't get my beauty sleep, LOL. (!)

#7 black-cat, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  8. thekillingmoon

A. How do you know you are male/female? I don't mind being female.

Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender? I never really thought about it.
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations? I don't like some of the female stereotypes and gender roles, but I'm ok with my gender. Just hate to be put in a box.

B. To what extent do you embrace traditional gender roles/expectations? Well, I wear a bra under my shirt when I go somewhere, that is expected, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't think I stand out too much from other women, except for being gay and not wishing for a husband. I do believe in equality and that women can take care of themselves and all that.

Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female? Neither, I don't think a lot about these things.
    What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.? I don't know how true that is, but I don't like enforcing of gender stereotypes.

C. How satisfied are you with your physical self? Mostly satisfied. Sometimes I wish I was stronger physically. I'm not tall and frail looking unfortunately, which tends to attract creeps.

Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex? Nah, that would be odd.

9. TheStormInside

I just *am* female. I don't think about it much, but if I try to then it's as though there is a "sync" between mind and body.

It's come up a few times here and there, mostly because I have a rather stereotypically "masculine" way of thinking and I'm not into traditionally feminine things. I rely a lot on logic and have a hard time wrapping my head around emotions, which is a male stereotype.
    I think any of my discomfort comes from societal expectations rather than an intrinsic dissonance, though I do recall having desire to hide my hips sometimes I think that was more about feminine body issues.

My appearance is typically female, but I don't go in for all of the makeup, nails, and such. I don't think a lot about gender roles now that I'm an adult, as a kid it seemed to come up more because I had people (ie parents) constantly correcting me and kids teasing me because I didn't quite "fit." I kind of exist in a realm of my own. I like cute things, animals, art, those things are traditionally feminine. But I also like sci fi and nerdery, which while it can be enjoyed by both genders is stereotyped a little more masculine. And, I like women, which is kind of the big "F U" to societal expectations :icon_wink .

I guess I feel a little less feminine than many of my female friends, but I don't really feel male.

My take is that if there is significant study and evidence it's probably true, but we also need to be aware that "female brain" and "male brain" may not be as obviously distinct as female body and male body (in the majority of cases, anyway).

It wouldn't hurt it to be a little taller and lose a little weight. I'm not crazy about its decidedly Italian nose. I am ok with it as far as gender goes, though.

No, not really. I am pretty happy with being a woman.

10. jahow95

A. How do you know you are male?
    Penis. I have never felt any need to separate my sex and gender.

No I have never, I am absolutely male gendered.

No, no, no.

Strongly embrace - not because I feel I have to, but they suit me.

I never feel female.

My take? It doesn't offend me any more than any other scientific research... don't shoot the messenger. There are gender specific traits that you can't get away from - women are built to be less physically powerful than men, for example, so men will always tend to be more dominant.

Pretty happy, wouldn't mind more masculine sex characteristics - eg. hairier legs.

Yeah I'd be a girl for a day, but that's the girl liking part of me talking. Would like to have boobs to feel. But practically, no, I am 100% happy as a male.

11. NDark

A. How do you know you are female? No idea, really.
    Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender? Sure, I've questioned it. Always have, especially when I decided I wanted to hang out with boys at school rather than girls.
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations? Boobs. I like them on other people, but hate them on myself. If I could get rid of them, I would.
    B. To what extent do you embrace traditional gender roles/expectations? Well, my hair is short, and I refuse to wear skirts/dresses and heels, but I love frills and such. I'd never wear them myself, but I love them. I follow a bunch of female stereotypes/expectations, such as cooking, loving cats, being crudbuckets at sports (on the offence, anyways), and the like. Then again, my dad also cooks, my male friend loves cats and cute things (though he's likely gay/bi), and I do Taekwon Do. In other words, I feel like gender roles have sort of turned on their heads and I don't care much about them.
    Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female? In a way, I guess. People have always called me a 'tomboy,' a title which I loved and wanted to deserve, but my sister is almost a complete opposite of me, and she's a 'tomboy,' too. So I don't know.
    What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.? Obviously, we have gender-queers and *trans folk, so that scientific evidence only applies in some cases. I've always played with Hot Wheels and Pokémon cards, and Barbies and Polly Pockets.
    C. How satisfied are you with your physical self? Hate mah boobs. Hate them so much. I think period is disgusting, and I had my hair cut nice and short. However, I love my curvy-ish hips and body, and I'm actually scared of penises, so girl body it is.
    Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex? So many times. If I had a dollar for every time I said, "I wish I was a boy!" I'd be rich. I wish I had the physical strength of a guy, and a flat chest. I often also wished I could be a guy so I could wrestle with other guys without them feeling awkward, or the mindset so I wouldn't be as afraid of things. Oddly, I like being a girl who likes girls. I don't like opposite-gender couples, and I wouldn't want to be in one. The only reason I'm still saying I'm bisexual is because I dunno yet, but eh.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No.

No.

I don't know. I don't care for watching sport or cars, but I'm crude and messy. I think there is a difference in the male and female thought process.

Satisfied, and no. Boobs look annoying.

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I simply know.. Never had any doubt that I am a male, never had problems with it.. It just feels right.

I've never questioned my gender.

Never felt uncomfortable with my gender.

I completely disagree with gender roles and expectations. Anyone should be entitled to be who they want to be. Expectations put pressure on people and could make them sad. It would be so much easier if we let go of these expectations.

Don't care for gender roles, so it has no influence whatsoever.

This may be true indeed. Some behaviour is more common in men than women, okay, but that doesn't mean that it's this golden rule book. It suggests by no means that everyone should adhere to gender specific expectations.

Satisfied. But sometimes I wish to look differently. That depends on my mood.

Would be fun for one day I think. But don't want to keep it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. rmds

I've never questioned it. I FEEL like a girl.

Not at all.

No.

I don't want to generalize, but I think it's probably safe to say that most lesbians don't care about 'gender roles.' I don't even know what it means to have a "role" that pertains solely to your gender. It's nonsense.

^ ^

Obviously I'm not an expert. I don't know the answer to this. But I definitely believe that people can FEEL their gender. Since I've never felt like anything but a girl, I imagine it's the same for someone who is trans, and feels like they are a boy even though they have a female body, vs versa, etc. I do think the brain is separate from the body in that way.

Satisfied.

I think at one point or another everyone wonders what it would be like to be the opposite sex. However, I've never wanted a male body. The thought kind of grosses me out which is, perhaps, just a reinforcer that yes, I'm a girl. And gay. :lol:

15. Dakeli27

Well, I'm very feminine, and often relate more to girls than guys, but I'm still comfortable being a guy. I just feel like a guy.

16. Split Arrows

The same way I know anything else about myself...I'm not sure.

1. Have you ever questioned, or how often do you question, your gender? I've never questioned it, but I have questioned how to express it
    2. Have you ever felt uncomfortable with your gender, independent of gender roles and societal expectations? Not so much

1. Do the traditional gender roles/expectations make you feel more male/female? Somewhere in the middle. I definitely feel more pressure to be more "masculine".
    2. What is your take on the scientific researches that say females have female brains & vice versa, which seems to me to enforce gender-typical mannerisms, etc.? Seems legit
    C. How satisfied are you with your physical self? As much as anyone can be, I suppose.
    1. Have you ever wanted the body of the opposite sex? Yes...but I've also wanted bodies of the same sex. Or did I misunderstand the question :icon_wink

Seriously, though, I have wanted to be in a female body a few times but more like Freaky Friday style. I wouldn't want it to be permanent but I do wish that it could be like a different outfit that I could put on for a day. More than that, I just wish it were socially acceptable for me to wear "women's clothes" in public.

17. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    probably my love for video games, being a slob, peeing in showers, getting angry for no reasons........in all honesty i don't really know. i guess i just feels natural for me, i don't give it much thought about it.

probably once or twice, it didn't fit me or my character for that matter. (when i say character, i mean the type of person that i am, i'm not a cartoon lol)

probably gender roles, that it's normally expected to live up to the standards. that also includes the idea of masculinity. pretty damn annoying really, haven't been uncomfortable with it.

can't say that embrace is the term for it. i'd say that i'm more glad that i'm strong both mind and body. maybe that's one of the gender expectations i don't mind.

nope not really. i don't limit myself to those kinds of things

yea, that's like saying Monkeys have monkey brains, or fish have fish brains, and douche muscle heads have douche muscle head brains, and on and on......

ehhh i could work on it, im a bit lazy and unmotivated at the moment but i try to keep myself in the best healthy shape possible.

i would not know how i look like. it's hard to imagine.

18. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A. Because of my female traits and my identification with the female gender.
    1. Often, but I always reasure myself that it's normal for me to have these doubts even though I'm cis.
    2. No.

B. I have a terrible disdain for these gender roles, so you can guess that I avoid those expetations as much as I can.
    1. They make me feel weak, strong, feminine, masculine, comfortable, uncomfortable. Anything, but not more male or female.
    2. I try to avoid thinking too much about it since it makes me depressed when I notice so many differences between me and males. Yeah, I think it's true on some aspects, but my family's expetations about how a man/woman should behave is making me feel horrible about the existence of these differences.

C. I'd like to have a more masculine body. I'll work on it latter since I'm not too desperate to achieve that.
    1. Of course! The feeling that I might end up by having gender dysphoria because of that makes me sorta regret that and make me feel upset because I'm not a male.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Mentally, I feel like I have more of a female brain, although I'm not feminine. I also guess because my body is female, I just always felt that's how I should call myself.

I have questioned a few times, and a lot of the times I feel i'd prefer to be male. But when I tried identifying as male, it felt wrong and not who I was.

I have felt uncomfortable with my gender, BECAUSE of gender roles or expectations, but otherwise I have not, which is why I knew I wasn't trans.

Not at all, I think they're bullshit. If roles defined gender, I'd be bigender.

I think because I don't like extremely feminine things, I used to feel less of a woman because of it.

I think It's true that there may be SLIGHT differences, but It's not as major as people think. I hate when people act like men or women behave in one specific way, when there's so much variety.

Not really satisfied.

YES. I think this all the time. And I think part of it has to do with internalized homophobia, wanting to live as a straight guy, etc. I don't think this makes me less cisgender though, as for trans people it affects them in every way besides just sexuality, and many trans guys like men. I also know if I had a sex change, it would probably be uncomfortable/cause dysphoria, etc. I really think this is more of a wish fulfillment and being attracted to heterosexual relationships as the man by my part.

20. Holly82

As a trans* woman who just started questioning her gender, this thread has helped put a lot in perspective! Thank you, everyone!