1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly is gender, anyway?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DominoSuis, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DominoSuis

I'm sure a lot of people post about this, so I'm sorry if you're reading something that's already been discussed!

Let me start by saying that I'm confused about my sexuality as well, so it might be a bit stickier in general.

So. I'm female biologically, and I don't... mind. Usually I dress California casual - you know, jeans, an old shirt - things like that. trainers are cool too. I sort of like having a smooth curve down my body, it's nice. And sometimes I do get the feeling of wishing I was more 'feminine', because I'm very tomboyish and... plain.

So. Today, I decided to try that! Instead of jeans and a tee, I dug out a lovely little skirt, a cropped top, sandals, and did my hair a lot nicer than I normally would, grabbed a handbag... and I don't know what to say, really. I had this sensation of being really girly and feminine and 'pretty', but at the same time I didn't feel like ME. Like something had just disappeared. Sure, I had more confidence in my appearance, but it wasn't entirely RIGHT. (It had the added bonus of screwing with my sexuality a little too.)

Here's the other half of the coin. When I used to go to my friends (guy friend) as a teen after a long, muddy walk, I'd borrow his cargos or jeans. I felt so happy and comfy in them, it was great! I also have one or two shirts from the men's section that don't fit right but I love wearing; long and baggy and just - ahhh, great!

Of course, just like earlier in the post, I decided to try doing something experimental and different. I used a sports bra a size too small (my breasts are small anyway), and stuffed socks down my trousers, and dressed up in a nice suit. I kinda look... androgynous, actually. And quite happy to present as so. And yet, again, something didn't feel quite right... I mean, I don't want a penis, or anything like that. And I do have a soft spot for my curves on occasion.

Final case in point: A few months back when I was thinking about the topic of gender, my friend spoke to me about the idea of being AGENDER. I went out for a run shortly after considering that and, BAHM - I felt like I'd been hit by a truck during the run. "Having no gender is so right!" And for the run it felt like an INCREDIBLE realisation. Then I got home and started to feel panicked and horrible and stuck 'FEMALE' as a gender label on myself.

I think, all in all, I'm super confused. As a kid I hated dresses; I ALWAYS wore trousers and trainers/boots. I don't mind make up but it's so much HASSLE to deal with and so not worth it. I wear my hair long because it makes me feel 'feminine' sometimes, which I think I lack overall. When watching shows I tend to identify with both female AND male characters overall; particularly in things like anime, I'm always loving and feeling for the guys, all "Me too, man, I understand that. God you're so cool and awesome!"

I guess... some advice would be cool? People gave me a lot of good advice about sexuality when I posted there; I was hoping for the same here. : )

2. Yosia

Is it some form of candy? ^.^

3. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    The best advice that I think I can give you is that if you think it's right, then it's right. From what you were saying, it seems like you feel agender is a good fit for you, and if it is, don't be afraid to embrace that. :slight_smile:

4. AAASAS

Gender is what you are biologically, there is nothing more to it. People like to make everything grey, and just can't accept that some things are black and white.

Male = Penis, Female = Vagina. Nothing more, nothing less, personality traits are interchangeable.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, what you have described is sex. Sex is determined by biological parts and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is how we perceive ourselves in our heads.

So, there actually is more to it than you are implying.

6. DominoSuis

I could be; I might not be. But every time I lapse into gender identity I get freaked out and try to return to 'girl' mode.

Five minutes ago I was singing around the house with a gruff voice, feeling all 'manly' and male, and now I'm sitting feeling just... 'genderless'. And desperately wishing I could look in the mirror and see a 'female' again.

Crap, sorry, that's all rambled.

Short version: I'm used to identifying as a tomboy female with fluxes and not being 'female' is terrifying but not wrong.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This is not necessarily true, for example there are intersex people as well, and they usually identify as binary male/female.

If you woke up one day with a vagina, I doubt you'd feel or think you were female.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

^ what I was trying to say in that message.

9. alexlove

alexlove Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i agree that is so true

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  11. DominoSuis