1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hormones in the States?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KayJay, Sep 11, 2014.

1. KayJay

So I've read a lot of posts here about how expensive hormones are. It feels weird to me because where I live with really basic coverage I basically get my hormones for free. I'm just curious how much they cost? I may end up living in the states in the future and I was thinking about lots of different things and this was one.

I guess hormones aren't covered in the US or?? I dunno, it's one of my many concerns about moving down there.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't know about female hormones, but male ones are expensive as hell, patches go up to $300 or more at the most.

I assume female hormones are similar.

Sorry I'm not much help haha

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thankfully T costs less than E. Without insurance, it would cost me 120 dollars for a 10 ml vial of T. That vial will last for months though. I'm lucky where my insurance covers my T (Even though there is an written ban on transgender coverage in my insurance.)

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Is there a way to find out if your insurance covers hormones?

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would suggest reading the insurance manual. Mine exempted GID. I was diagnosed as having adjustment disorder in relation to gender ( because my therapist hated the term GID). They also have the reason for my hormones listed as "unspecified hormonal disorder".

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

So awesome you were able to get around that

7. Lady K

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get a 10ml vial of Estrogen for $34, 60 Spiro pills for $20, and 30 progesterone pills for $15. Without insurance.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2014 at 01:03 AM ----------

A lot of pharmacies have free discount programs you can sign up for. They list what meds are discounted on their websites. And estrogen is cheapest if you go through a compounding pharmacy.

8. Ruthven

weelll when i was supposed to start T back in june, i had my gender marker changed with my health insurance as the fenway health/borum peeps told me to do, and doin that apparently woulda covered my T (and i'll hopefully be actually startin T soon, if i can get my mum onboard somehow..)

and then later this massachusetts health thing was announced, and it's gonna take away the trans exclusions on hormones and surgery, so that shit's gonna be covered by like masshealth and i think others--but who knows when that's takin effect cuz they're takin their sweet time with it.

but i mean if you live someplace where you have to pay totally out of pocket for hormones, it's thankfully not crazy expensive. there's what Lady K mentioned, and there's goodrx coupons which reduce costs too