1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Events

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by cumberbatched, Sep 11, 2014.

1. cumberbatched

I have just started college about a month ago and I noticed like a week ago a poster for a beginning of the year pride meet and greet type thing. I really wanted to go, but I've never been and I didn't want to go alone. My roommate said she would go with me, but then changed her mind later and said she didn't want to. I really want to meet people (and possibly find a relationship partner :kiss:) but I don't want to go by myself. Also I'm not really sure what to expect or how many people will be there. Any advice on how to go about this?

2. Gen

Gen

I would absolutely recommend going by yourself. Learning to be comfortable and confident when on our own is one of the most underrated abilities. It is why we live in a society where many people feel uncomfortable even going to films or shows alone, despite the fact that there will clearly be very little interactions in those environments. Especially in college, I would make an effort to take on a few challenges by yourself from time to time because the time will come in the near future when you will likely be on your own every single night, weekend, vacation from work, etc, until the point comes that you have a stable relationship/family/etc.

Plus, there is absolutely no way you will be the only one alone. Most people visit those events for the sole purpose of meeting people and making more friends. It will be fine.

3. stormborn

i was scared as hell to go to my college's pride event last week (i walked up to the door it was behind and almost ran away :lol:slight_smile: but i went, and i had such a good time. i made more friends than i had in the week and a half of being at college prior, who i have been hanging out with lots since the event. so yeah, i'd definitely recommend going!

4. cumberbatched

Thank you guys so much! This makes me feel a lot better, I'm actually a little excited to go to the next event when it comes up! :slight_smile: