1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

explain the non binary genders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by stocking, Sep 12, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What is gender queer, agender and bi gender I'm not sure what they mean I would like some one to explain it to me:confused:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...

My understanding of the non binary is that agender doesn't ascribe to one. Bigender displays aspects of both at will. Genderfluid shifts in a spectrum.

But then again like binary transgender there is a huge variety out there. And each non binary person may have a different definition.

So I'm one voice in the crowd and definitely one who is a binary so I'm not an expert.

3. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agender: A non-binary identity that is neither female nor male.
    Bigender: When someone keeps shifting to male, then female depending on the situation.
    Genderqueer: Someone that experience gender in a different way by most people. I already made a research about it, but I still can't understand what it means very well.

4. Yosia

Male-------------------------Non Binary-------------------------------Female​

5. AlexTheGrey

It gets used to mean a lot of different things, and acts like a catch all at times. As Kasey says, there's quite a bit of variety out there, and sometimes it is fine to convey a vague idea with a vague label. We already do it with "male" and "female" each trying to cover half of humanity.

The other definitions are pretty close, although again as Kasey says, the labels aren't terribly solid, and different people will see a label slightly differently.

I feel like I need to clarify a bit more on Sinon's post though, as I don't think it accurately reflects the landscape. It isn't so much a spectrum between two poles, as it is a bunch of clusters of nebulous concepts. They can overlap, or not, and they can be related, or not. We don't put types of cars, phones, or animals on a spectrum, and gender isn't any different.

I feel like I'm "in the middle", myself, but not strongly so. Does that mean I should call myself an androgyne (both?), or agender (neither)? Third gender may even apply, but I don't really know. There's just a lot of overlap and subtle differences.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this thread:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/150966-androgyne-identity.html#14

gender_queer
    Genderqueer
    A person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman, is between or beyond genders, or is some combination of genders. This identity is usually related to or in reaction to the social construction of gender, gender stereotypes and the gender binary system. Some genderequeer people identify under the transgender umbrella while others do not.

I think this all is like in art... you use a few labels during education, but invariably you come up with your own style...

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I can explain gender fluid... Basically think of it as a scale. Male on one side female on the other. Sometimes it's perfectly balanced. Sometimes male outweighs female. Sometimes female outweighs male. Most of the time for me it would be...

[Male] - - O - - - - - - - [Neutral] - - - - - - - - - [Female]

Hope I helped at least in that aspect.

8. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simple and easy:
    Agender: Having no gender, neither male nor female nor really anything else. Who cares? I'm me and that's all that really matters, how do you FEEL like a gender anyway?

Bigender: I am a boy and a girl or maybe a girl and something else but I feel like two genders and sometimes I might feel more like one than the other or maybe something in between but that's totally okay.

GenderFluid/Genderqueer: I feel like I'm either a boy or a girl at any given moment. There can be times of overlap but usually I'm one or the other. Certain people can make me feel like a certain gender, or certain situations or hey, I might just wake up like that.

Of course that's just what I've experienced and been told by people who identify that way, there's no right or wrong way to experience gender but it's helpful to have sort of a generic base to give to explain to people like you OP.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I've come to define them as in my experiences:

agender- lack of gender/experiences none/ whatever it means to the person identifies with it
    bigender- experiences both male and female gender/whatever it means to the person identifies with it

genderqueer- How this one was explained to me, is that it's pretty much a catch-all term for nonbinary. A word for someone who does not quite fit into conventional genders. /whatever it means to the person identifies with it

Pretty much, if someone ever tells you their gender, and you're not quite sure about it, just ask. Everyone defines these labels differently, and no one would get offended at you trying to understand :slight_smile:

10. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Genderqueer: an umbrella term for gender identities other than vis

Agender: an agendered person doesn't identify with any specific gender identity

Bigender: A Bigendered person identifies as both male and female. Yes that is possible, and it's actually kind of cool

I hope this helps :icon_bigg