1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About binders and T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RaineyDaze, Sep 12, 2014.

1. RaineyDaze

I'm just curious about binders. I know what they do and I really want one. Are there any online stores that sell good quality ones that don't cost a lot? Or is there a way I can make one they works? I think I'm between a an A cup and size B cup breast size. Also, does anyone know which is the least expensive T choice? I know there's patches, pills and injections, etc. could someone explain it without copying and pasting it from a site?
    I'm on Canada, if that helps at all. :help:
    Thanks in advance!:smilewave

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think injections are the least expensive

Good quality binders are around $30. Underworks is the best brand, supposedly

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For binders, underworks has some good ones that are cheaper than most other sites. (There are other ones that are cheaper, but the binding methods on those are not as good, and over time could lead to more long term damage). They have a sizing chart on there that will let you know what size that you will need.

As for T, the least expensive choice is the injections. You never want to take T pills, because those will damage your liver. Patches, gels and creams have to be applied daily, where injections can be taken once every 1-3 weeks (or sometimes longer). The gels, creams and patches also will cause some skin irritation, since they have to be applied on the skin daily. I've also heard from guys that it is hard to find a place to apply it where it does not rub off onto other things (or in the case of the patch, it falls off).

That being said, I am not a doctor. You will need to talk to one before you make a decision on which method you want to use. I was determined that I was going to use anything but shots, but I found out that my skin type and my metabolism both made transdermal methods pretty much useless to me. So, I am taking injections.

Hope this helps you some :slight_smile:

4. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the Underworks comments, binders from there are probably the safest you're going to get, although there are other options like T-Kingdom but I've also heard great things about compression sports bras like THIS one. Do not buy the cheap 10$ binders from Ebay or amazon or any of those sites, they may look nice but they are pretty likely to just hurt you. And, from personal experience, they don't work well.

As for T, Injections are the cheapest way to go. They range in price though depending if you get generic or name brand, but I doubt that really matters, generic is just as god as name. Gel works second best to injections, but it's a lot more pricy. I wouldn't recommend the patch or the pills. Good luck friend<3

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, something that I forgot to mention in my previous post, avoid costly binders at all costs. They are not designed to be used for daily wear. When you do wear them, they are designed to be worn for a couple of hours or so. So, wearing them for long periods of time will really cause you some damage.

6. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't want to open a completely new thread for this question, but what do these binders actually do? :confused: (Seen some pictures on Google, but don't quite see the change)

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Underworks sells good quality binders for cheap; like $29.99 I think they are now. I'm sure other sites exist, but I don't have experience with places like Tranzwear.

As far as T is concerned, it varies from place to place and what your insurance company provides. Injections are commonly cheaper, but other delivery methods exist and your insurance company might cover one but not the other. My company, if I used the site correctly, covers injections and gel.

If you have insurance, you should give them a call to see what's covered. Your doctor could be resourceful and help, but that's your homework assignment. Some places can find a way to work something out with you if you don't have insurance and/or you're a student.

8. stormborn

they flatten your chest so that it looks like you don't have boobs.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

They flatten your chest so you appear not to have breasts, therefore helping you pass.

There is a big difference between how a trans guy looks with one on and without one, at least in my case.

10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They flatten chests.

EDIT: Don't know how I managed to post after two posts, but, well, yeah.

Maybe I should mention that binders are not only for trans men. They can be used with women and cis men with gynecomastia. (but this is a thread asking about binders for trans men, so, yeah, that was probably unnecessary too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

#10 Nychthemeron, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

^of course! I was giving an example

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, heheh, wasn't really aiming that at you. Just providing some other information, I guess.

And, to OP - good luck finding one! If you look it up, I think there are some places that can actually ship you a free one.

13. Minnie

If you're a small breast size you can try the sports bra method. Get one bra and but it on normally; get another and put it on back-to-front. Only really works if you get bras with a back that covers a fair bit or your chest though.

14. RaineyDaze

Thank you all so much for your kind words and help! <3