1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure of my gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ConsistentAlex, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ConsistentAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently had an experience that has me seriously questioning my gender identity.
    It all started with a dream. I occasionally experience extremely vivid and at least semi_lucid dreams. One of the largest differences these have from normal dreams is that I tend to feel strong emotions where in a normal dream I am more of a passive observer.

But anyways, in the dream I was turned from make to female by advanced medical machinery. While this alone wouldn't normally be something to worry about, my feelings inside the dream and after are.

The closest thing I have to compare it to is the feeling I had whenever I got a really cool gift for Christmas. One that I had wanted for a long time but didn't think I would get.

I felt overjoyed, and when I woke up I felt as if somethimg clicked. And it also dredged up a lot of other things. Like the fact that I've had passing desire to be the opposite sex, but passed it up as just curiosity. Or the fact that I would never play as make characters in video games because of the yuck factor when I looked at them.

IM not sure what to make of this. Thoughts?

2. JustJJx

I've had dreams where i had a female body and i loved them and i'm genderfluid, if that helps!
    In reality do you ever feel like you are in the wrong body? Do you wear female clothes at all?

3. ConsistentAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If by female clothes you mean dresses then no. But I hate dresses and the like. I suppose I've felt something akin to being in the wrong body. But not exactly as I know I wouldn't be able to switch bodies. I have felt as if I haw the wrong type of genitals, though.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Are there any female clothes you would like to wear?

Do you ever imagine yourself as female in reality? I mean would you prefer people to address you with female pronouns and see you as a woman?

5. ConsistentAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I always have been Jealous of some of the fashion women wear. But no, I just care about the body. I don't have any interest in taking on female societal roles per se.

6. JustJJx

I don't see wearing female clothes as taking on societal roles at all. I have a very masculine body (except for my hips and face) and female clothes help me feel more femme when i have dysphoria, it has nothing to do with taking on a role...

7. ConsistentAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe you misunderstood me. The societal elements of being female I was referring to was the being perceived as a woman. Being called as a woman is fine. But there is extra baggage that comes with taking on the role of a woman. That is my primary point of contention. The clothes and body are fine by me, I just know I've seen many women that have been treated badly or excluded from opportunities and such because they are women.

#7 ConsistentAlex, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. anonym

anonym Guest

You shouldn't let society's gender constructs (which in my opinion are far outdated) determine your gender identity if you feel that you should be female/