1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping skills

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Minnie

My dysphoria is so bad nowadays that I feel like I can't go on. I can't cope like this. Life is so bad right now. To get hormones I'd need to see gender therapy (again) which will see me on a waiting list until next year probably. Even when I bind and wear boyish clothes, I don't pass - the only thing that makes me even look trans is if a put on glasses, which I don't need. I need coping strategies really badly. I don't even think I could be in a relationship/be intimate the way I am now. Yay depression. Yay dysphoria.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Story of my life. We'll have our bad days and our good ones. We should try our best to cling onto something that makes us happy and distances us from our troubles. Music and funny YT videos usually helps me.

3. Yosia

I have my own world i have created in my head and i just dream of that when i feel bad. ^.^

4. Hexagon

I never managed to cope with dysphoria. Only hormones and surgery helped me. So all I can really offer you is this: are you able to pay for a couple of visits to a private doctor? I could direct you to the guy who gave me hormones in a month.

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria is truly awful to deal with. I found for me personally that hormones and surgery were what made it go away. Talking about it with a therapist or friends helped with coping a little bit, as did trying to do what felt natural to me.

6. Otaku2014

teddy bears help me, and my blankie, i just wrap myself in my blankie and cuddle my teddy when i feel depressed

7. AlexTheGrey

Why not get fakes? There are those, like me, who have to wear them. Because of that, they wind up being a bit of a fashion statement, and part of how we express ourselves to others.

If it helps you express yourself to others, and you like them? I don't see the harm, other than the expense.

8. And

And

I'm with Alex on this - because they're on my face every day my glasses are a big part of how I look. Go with anything that helps get you through. I'd always thought it was just me imaging things, but I think my frames make my face seem more male too.

Other than that I can't give you any advice on how to get through it because I'm having the same problems myself. I just keep trying to reassure myself that at least I finally seem to have worked out what's wrong with me. The waiting is horrible though. If people were expected to wait 12-15 months to see doctors for other things there would be outrage.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I remember how agonising it was when I was pre-hormones and how I'd sit and dwell, counting down the days until my next therapy session, crossing my fingers I would finally get approval to start them. I didn't pass too often, my face and body irritated the hell out of me, and dysphoria made me borderline suicidal. I did what I could to feel better, even if that meant getting myself a new outfit every couple of weeks, a better haircut, new glasses. Living vicariously through other guys, looking at others' transitions and knowing I'll get there at some point, too. Do whatever you can to help yourself the best you can without access to proper healthcare (which every trans person should have access to but trans medicine/healthcare is so fucked up).

Like Hexagon mentioned, is there some way you could afford to see a private doctor? Any other way you could have access to hormones quicker?

10. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    me too! if you can learn some good meditating skills, it will make it easier to kind of tune out and focus on the place. i do this when I'm really stressed to. If I'm at home I'll lie on the floor with some pillows and listening to some atmospheric music to kind of match the kind of world I'm in like a soundtrack to a movie. It's a temporary relief but at least it's good while it lasts.:icon_wink