1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Therapist Help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Logan0001, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going to see a gender therapist at some point, and I'm kinda just wondering what kind of stuff is going to happen. What questions were you guys asked as ftms, and did talking to a therapist help you?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, my therapist just talked about how I saw myself as male, and she helped me sort out a lot of my feelings about being male in a "female" body. She also helped me make the decision about starting hormones, since at the time, I was undecided about it. She also helped me to learn more masculine mannerisms. Talking to a therapist did help me, since she could help me think more critically about things. Every therapist is different though, so that is something to keep in mind.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

The usual stuffs about my gender and how I viewed myself, how long I've felt this way, what my goals with transitioning were and other life goals, along with concerns I may of had and figuring out what steps to take next. My therapist did help me a lot when it came to resources, and of course, without her I couldn't have started hormones.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly the basics; how long I've had said feelings, how certain or daily tasks can do a number on my dysphoria and how things are socially.ome things were weird to talk about, like how "the curse" is triggering for me and how it makes my depression (rooted in my dysphoria) worse.

Since I have anxiety, we also discussed ways I could cope in case I had another nervous break since they're common for me to get anxious for no reason. Talking did help and I can easily say this is one of the more relaxed environments I've been in. I've been under the wing of medical professionals since I was 16 (I'll be 21 in November) and I've only felt safe with one other person besides the one I've been seeing since July. The environment was relaxing and non-judgmental.