1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What actually happens at gender identity clinic appointments?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by And, Sep 16, 2014.

1. And

And

So I've spent a lot of time searching through information, and I've found some useful stuff, but what I can't see is anything about what actually happens when you go for an appointment at a gender identity clinic.

I know they'll all be a bit different, it's Sandyford in Glasgow I'd be visiting, but I can't find anything more detailed than Q&As with vague answers saying about blood tests, discussing how you feel and a physical exam at some point. Most of the descriptions - like the one's given on the Charring Cross site - go into more detail about real life experience and surgery than anything else. I've read up on the timelines and know that there's normally 2/3 assessments and things like that but I can't see anything that tells me what'll happen at them.

I understand that I'm probably looking at a twelve month wait before I could get an appointment but I think I'd find it useful to know what to expect. Would the first assessment be mainly talking and maybe blood tests (I see they like to do them early) or would it include a detailed physical too? I know I'll have to strip off at some point during the process, but the thought of exposing the bits I hate at the same time as I'm discussing this in person for the first time makes me anxious. With checking for "secondary sexual characteristics" being mentioned it sounds like this will be quite detailed and I'd have to endure a genital exam quite early on.

Also, what happens when you phone for an appointment? Do you have to go into any detail or is it just a case of saying you want to be seen at the gender clinic. I've double checked and I don't need to be referred by my GP. My next appointment isn't for a couple of months and the local councelling service she's referred me to can't see me until well into next year so I want to get things going.

Sorry for all the questions!