1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend won't stop calling me "sis," and I have other suspicions of him

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My best friend will call me "sis," "onee-chan," or "Senpai" whenever he addresses me. Before I knew I was trans, I was calling him "onii-chan," (big brother) but it never felt right because I wanted him to call me "onii-chan" rather than the other way around. (These are gender/age-based Japanese honorifics, by the way, if you didn't know.) "Sis" and "onee-chan" are starting to bother me more and more (Senpai's cool, though), "Sis" especially (probably because it rhymes with "cis!"). I'm not out to him yet and I don't feel ready to do it... I've told him to stop and he won't. He thinks I'm just joking... How can I get him to stop doing this without coming out? He's really stubborn.

Another thing about him... He's bisexual, and he has a lot of feminine qualities. He tells everyone that he's growing his hair out to his shoulders, and while everyone tells him it would look weird, he says he doesn't care. And sometimes I get the vibe from him that he wishes to be a girl. For example, he makes indirect comments that he is girlish and stuff. Is it possible he's a transgirl or at least not cis?

Reading over what I've typed, it just sounds like I'm desperate to have a transgender friend I can talk to... Though he may be deeply closeted like me and isn't going to show his feminine side easily. I'll leave it to see what you guys say about him, though...

2. AsheTheHuman

It definitely sounds like there's a possibility he's trans. Of course he may be androgynous or agender as well. Maybe try to bring up trans people somehow and see what his reaction is. Or perhaps ask him if he likes his name. If not, that could be a big clue as to wether or not he's cis. Good luck, and I hope everything goes well!

3. birdking

Just 'cause he likes long hair and feminine things doesn't make him trans. Unless he comes out to you as transgender, it's not wise to be crossing your fingers about someone else's identity. He probably just falls outside of typical gender roles. (although, for your sake, I hope you meet someone who is trans so that you have a trans friend!)

As for him calling you gendered terms, have you tried telling him explicitly that it bothers you? Try not to beat around the bush, or he'll think you're joking. You just gotta say "hey, for real though, that bothers me, please stop." or something of that nature.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, his name is a female one. xD It's traditionally for a girl, but since it's foreign, no one here understands that. I'll ask him about it, though. Thanks!

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2014 at 07:20 AM ----------

I know, I have my hopes up. :/ I'm going to try Ashe's suggestions and if my friend doesn't reveal himself (if there's anything to reveal), I'll just have to wait until I come out to him. And even then he is probably not trans. But I'm not giving up that tiny possibility...

I don't know if I was direct enough, but after he calls me a gendered term, I'll say, "Don't call me that, I'm not your sis," or "Stop calling me sis."

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Having long hair and being feminine does NOT make a guy a trans girl.

I'm a trans guy, I'm growing my hair out to my shoulders. I also wear make up. I have no desire to be a girl, if I did, I would stay a girl.

As for the gendered terms, this has already been answered. Just tell him to stop.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never said it did, I said I was getting my hopes up that he was trans. And a simple "stop" doesn't work on him.

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, he sounds a lot like me when I was in high school o_o I even affectionately referred to one of my friends as Onee-chan for a while... But that's unrelated! xP I used to do the same thing though, asking friends especially female ones if they thought I was girly or trying to make them see me as more feminine in subtle ways. though my hair was all the way down my back by high school.

Not that I'm suggesting that he is transgender but I'd say there is definitely evidence of that being a possibility here.

As for dealing with being called by wrong gender pronouns, we've all been there and its especially hard when you're in the closet. My parents have been affectionately calling me "Boychild" since I was little... And now even some of my friends will call me Boy because of that... Now I'd rather be called "Princess" personally but none of them know that and for now I just put up with it. So I know where you're coming from, and its not easy dealing with it. If you don't want to come out to him, then try to be gentle when you tell him you don't want to be called Sis or Onee-chan anymore, because he probably wont understand unless you come out to him. And tell him Senpai is still fine to reassure him if you're still okay with that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That's just my thought on it though, I'm not exactly an expert on dealing with this stuff since I just hide it, but that's just what I'd probably do in your case. ^^

Either way I wish you luck! ^^

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, Nekoko! Sorry you are still being called male nicknames. If only we could trade. D:

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, its alright, I have other friends who DO call me things like Princess and other affectionate feminine things so that makes me feel a little bit better :3

Hehe! I'd love to trade that'd be nice wouldn't it?~ But I think the future is bright ^^ lil' bro~ ;3

#9 Nekoko, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's good, Princess. :slight_smile: haha