1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age did you know you were trans*?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by black-cat, Sep 17, 2014.

1. black-cat

(Please excuse me if I come across as ignorant in this post, I am simply curious. I also figured that there was a similar thread around, as there are a few about working out when you were gay, but seemingly none for beings trans)

So, I was wondering what the average age was for people to realise that they were transgendered, gender fluid, etc? What age did you know?

#1 black-cat, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really varies a lot for people like it does for people realizing their sexuality. In my case I knew when I was 27. I finally gave in to what I thought at the time was an overwhelming fetish I was REALLY ashamed of, and got some women's clothes and a wig. I really liked what I saw in the mirror and thought "is this a thing? Are there other people like me out there?". I Googled "pangender" because I figured "pan" means across and I felt like I was across the genders. I figured out that wasn't it and then I found out about people transitioning and I immediately knew that was me. I have no idea how it took me that long to figure out what the "T" stood for. Talk about sheltered! :grin:

I'd been wondering my entire life why I felt so "wrong" and different, even when I had to use the bathroom as a kid I was grossed out and wondered why I had to stand. I eventually got used to the idea of standing, but always hated that thing I had to pee with. I only had girl friends as a kid and didn't get along with boys at all, and always wished I were a girl. I thought every male-bodied person would really want to be a woman (who wouldn't want to be pretty, duh!) and we just had to deal with drawing the short stick in life. I still didn't put two and two fully together before I saw that you could actually transition.

#2 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. SavMachine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I only figured out this year that I was gender fluid, but I only heard of the term this year too. Looking back on the years I have been uncomfortable with being a girl since I was maybe 10? I just didn't really have any reason to not consider myself a girl since I was not really offered an alternative. Interesting stuff :slight_smile:

4. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    +1

For some reason I always thought transgendered were only mtf, and tomboys were girls who were into sports, and I was never into sports so I didn't really consider myself a tomboy. I've just wanted to be one of the boys, and hang out with them as far back as I can remember. When I was a kid, I used to think other girls were weird, with their frilly stuff and Barbies lol. I've actually had dysphoria before, but didn't even know what that was until I came on here.

I don't know if I want to really transition at my age, I think I might just keep it androngynous. My husband is not completely straight, or he probably wouldn't be with me in the first place -- but he's not really gay so I think it would be weird for him if I became a man.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I always felt like this but never had a name for it until 14

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same about the not having a reason to not be a girl due to a lack of an alternative... Since I was in elementary I was uncomfortable being a girl, but only this year at 16 did I learn about transgendered people.

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was complicated... I don't think I fully admired it to myself until I was 19, but I always had this feeling since I was a child that more than anything I wanted to be a girl. I wasn't really settled mind you on wanting to transition until I turned 23 and I became resolute to transition when I turned 25. For me it was a long process of figuring out who I was and what I wanted.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It's a little complicated. Since I was in elementary school I felt something wasn't right.

But I ignored it and tried to act like a girl..

Only this year I knew I was trans

9. stormborn

17. before i started school, i knew i wanted to be a boy, but i gave up on that and buried those feelings once i started elementary school.

10. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured out I wasn't a girl when I was 9, and identified as a boy until I got to be in 8th grade (13) and learned there were named for non-binary trans people, since then (I'm 18) I've identified as nonbinary/agender

11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew that internally I would never feel like or be "a man" in any sense from beginning of grade school at least. Only accepted that I am trans and want to do something about it recently.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I had little glimpses growing up. For example, I'd see a particular few women, and while I found them attractive, it went a bit beyond that. I'd, for a few moments, see myself as those women. Another example, would be, I'd be out and about and, when just tending to my business, I'd see girls or women just expressing themselves, and again, I'd have these little flashes of myself, only as more feminine.

I'd see Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and I wanted to be her. I'd see Vasquez in Aliens, and I wanted to be her. I'd see Chun Li in Street Fighter, and I wanted to be her. I'd see Zangya in Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound, and I wanted to be her. I can go on and on, but I always felt a little odd, around other folks, because my attractions didn't stop where theirs did. While guys were talking about, wanting to be with girls, which I could agree with, they never seemed to say, they wanted to actually be those girls.

I used to think it was just a part of attraction, that everybody felt. I was fortunate to know about trans-issues fairly early, but not from any particular book or professional. No, there was a little Horror flick called Sleepaway Camp. It's not a very good movie, but the ending is one of the most memorable, well, for the few who have actually seen it. That sort of awakened me to the possibilities, so, of course, that lead into learning about trans-issues and trans-people.

So, I've always kind of known. I was fortunate not to be incredibly sheltered, so, things came to me a lot quicker, growing up. I wasn't just overwhelmed with information, all at once. However, there are certain problems that I face, in regards to this, and they, at times, can be very overwhelming. Usually emotionally, sometimes mentally, but I manage well. I just don't know what I am going to do, about transitioning.

13. wanderinggirl

I've just started questioning now at 26. I thought I was just incredibly jealous of boys. I thought I was not trying hard enough to be feminine. I was also pretty oblivious to trans issues; I thought it was just the "weird kids" wanting attention. I don't know! I was an asshole. I grew up in a liberal area; I should have known better. But I didn't, and I didn't want to hear about it, and I thought it was gross and that if "these people" just stopped being so desperate for attention they'd be happy in their bodies. Ugh... I hate that I ever thought that, but I think it's important for me to admit.
    So yeah, I was really hard on myself. I wasn't going to entertain any ideas other than being straight and feminine female no matter how much I hated myself. So now I'm 26 trying to figure out what all this stuff means.

14. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I realized I was not a girl when I was 19. But I couldn't put a label on it until I was 21. And though I'm pretty comfortable with the label i'm using now, I still don't know if it quite fits.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I felt unlucky about my gender since I was a child.

(No, not unlucky : Cursed)

16. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    I started feeling like something was wrong at about age 11. When I was 15 I found out that I was trans and have identified as male ever since.

17. WillowRose

I've known since age 14 or 15 that I was "different" and that my body didn't feel "right," but it wasn't until my early 30s that I even considered the possibility that I had been assigned the wrong gender. I finally fully accepted that I am trans* at the ripe old age of 51.

I know that makes me a statistical outlier, but it just goes to show that (a) everyone's story is different and (b) it's never too late to realize the truth of who we are.

18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I knew something was a little off from a young age, and as it worsened the older I got, the more I attempted to brush it away, and only did I accept it around age 17. I also blame a lack of resources, partially, because I didn't even know what (my) dysphoria actually was until nearly two years ago.

19. birdking

I came out at like 15 so probably age 13 or 14?? idk

20. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Before I kind of always felt that I wasn't quite female, although I didn't know at the time. I realized I was trans at age 17.