1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you confuse body dysmorphia with gender dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wanderinggirl, Sep 17, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

Well, is it possible? I've hated my body so long I don't know what about it bothered me so much. But maybe my body dysmorphia was actually gender dysphoria.

I was about 95 lbs at the beginning of high school, and I remember already thinking I wasn't skinny enough. Throughout high school I kept thinking I was fat but I didn't do anything about it because i was really active, but I gained about 10 lbs a year. In college I didn't even bother eating healthy for the first 3 years because I just assumed I was always going to be fat (indeed at that point I was unhealthily overweight). I hit 140 lbs (for my 5' frame it was a lot) and I started running/dieting until I lost 20 lbs. I should have felt good about my body, but I always still felt like I was fat, for which I felt guilty.

I've since gained some weight back since then, because I realized that if I still feel fat when I'm skinny (I wanna call myself "normal weight; but no I was skinny) something isn't right and dieting isn't gonna fix that. Not that I was happier with my body; but that I just sort of gave up. Besides, the dieting really sucked. But sometimes I'd look in the mirror and literally want to cry.

In all that time I tried really hard to love my body but I hated it. I practiced body positivity and I felt really guilty about buying into the culture of fat shaming. But I just resented myself every time I looked in the mirror. In photos I always hated how my breasts looked, even in "minimizer" bras. I didn't even worry about my hips because my 32DDs were sucking so much attention, but I'm guessing they're part of the issue as well.

Also I kept dressing more and more feminine because I heard that curvy girls should dress for the "hourglass" figure. So I kept trying for that and kept feeling it looked awful on me; I was hoping that the more femme I skewed the more I'd love my body because the more objectively attractive I'd be. (needless to say it didn't work)

The reason I'm sharing this is that I've recently gained a bit of weight as a result of studying too many hours a week for too many weeks prepping for an exam. BUT, I've also been binding. Last night I looked at myself in the mirror and even though my stomach was a bit softer... I didn't really see myself as the fat hideous monster anymore. I feel like binding my chest relieved feelings of body hatred to such a crazy extent, I'm surprised. I still keep healthy and active, but it's not out of body hate. I seem to have more confidence even as my weight fluctuates.

tl;dr: Could I have been confusing hating my feminine curves for feeling fat this whole time??

#1 wanderinggirl, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've seen stories from former trans men, or those on the transmasculine spectrum, who said internalized misogyny was the root of the problem, not dysphoria. Whether that's 100% or another coping mechanism is anyone's guess, but I think it's safe to say that at least a few of the folks who id as trans could be in the same situation.

Speaking as a male-bodied person, I felt pretty bad for being on the small side, since I'd constantly get comments about eating more, working out, etc. Except whereas my brothers had no problem blindly following trends, something held me back - there was a "line" I wouldn't cross, subconsciously, without realizing it. Perhaps I knew it would hinder me in looking androgynous/feminine? There was no idealized male self, really.

I wouldn't mind having a more "even" fat redistribution, but other than that, really have no complaints. There are trans women who are body builders, and trans men who are overweight, so I don't think it's just about body type for everyone. For me, looking like Katherine Moennig would be perfect. She's fit, but obviously has a feminine body, and an androgynous look.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was overweight before I figured out what was going on, and blamed that for why I hated my body so much. How would you feel about having a more masculine body that was slightly overweight, would that be better than a slim female body? I would be much more OK with being in a fat female body than a fit male body, for example.

Edit:
    Just to clarify, I never had body dysmorphia. I always knew I was overweight and food comforted me, so I ate a lot.

If you start looking like Shane I'll marry you. Just so you know... I've got dibs on you! :dry:

#3 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. Evil Kitten

5. wanderinggirl

Thanks for your comments.

@gravechild: I think internalized misogyny manifests itself differently; although I did internalize a lot of social gender norms. I just wanted to be normal so I did whatever I could to fit in, even though I wound up hating myself.

@The Leryous: I'm ok being a bit chubs with smaller boobs, but I've tried being skinny with normal boobs and it feels wrong. So I guess that answers that. Ah, Shane...

@Evil Kitten: Thanks for the link. I've read it before, and the fact that I can feel better with binding makes me think that maybe this is the "solvable" problem of dysphoria rather than the unsolvable problem of distorted self-image, or dysmorphia. But I don't know! It's confusing.

6. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess you found the answer yourself. :slight_smile: If binding makes you happy you definitely should do that. If the dysphoria gets really strong and you end up binding every day, top surgery could be for you. Surgery is a big deal, of course, and nothing to jump into.

7. wanderinggirl

True I guess you're right :slight_smile: I'm still kind of in the closet and I'm hoping that once I'm more comfortable full-time being my boyish self I'll consider surgery? Hmm.

Wondering if anyone else had this experience...