1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You wouldn't understand, It's a girl thing"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nekoko, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :dry:

So let me explain. I have an old friend who I've known since high school. We met online but lived in the same state, he's older than me and he's been one of my best friends for a long while. He recently became one of my roommates. And he's been introducing me to his friends and trying to get us to get along. Most of them are female, so its kind of nice to have a girl or two around for a change. (I live with a bunch of guys... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) It should be a welcome change around here... But there is one girl, who I'm not sure I can survive being around.

Its not that she's not a nice person but she sees me as a guy, so much so that I can feel her trying to burn MALE into my soul with her eyes. The thing that drives me craziest about her is that my gender always seems to come up as an issue with her! We have conversations and she act like I am a typical man or something in her eyes. And as the title suggests... she says "It's a girl thing" to me a LOT. I don't know what to do around this girl! I'm trying to be nice because she's my friend's friend but I can't stand the way she talks to me! Every time she comes over now I seethe rather visibly and give her death glares and I don't want to do that. She seems like a nice person! How could she know? But I can't help it! And I have no idea how to gently explain it to her without coming out! :bang:

Any advice? :icon_sad:

2. JessicaWolfess

Maybe consider coming out to her and tell her how you feel about what she say's too you? That's honestly the best thing I can think of, otherwise I don't really think there's anyway to tell her to stop acting that way around you without her knowing you're a girl.

3. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose but I still barely know her... And the friend she's friends with doesn't know and I'm not ready to come out to him yet either... Thank you though! (*hug*) I'll consider it because you're certainly not wrong... there's really little else to do, I was just hoping there was something else I could say to her... >_<

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might hint that you like girly stuff... like smells and flowers...
    you might dress and act a bit more girly...

you might hint that you don't like things usually associated with males... muscles, etc...

you might act a bit shy around her... not like an assertive male...

and you might try to relax and ignore or deflect if she brings up gender roles... like its ok to show emotions etc...

5. JessicaWolfess

I'd say go with this, but there is a strong possibility she will think you are a gay male or even trans. Still it would definitely help if you want to subtly tell her you are not exactly masculine lol

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like she feels the need to differentiate herself from you. Do you think she might be attracted to you? Sometimes guys would do that to me (treat me like a girl to the point of even telling me I should act/dress more girly) if they were interested. I assume it's because they felt uncomfortable going outside of the usual roles in the courtship game.

Some people also have trouble being friends with someone they perceive as the opposite sex, although if she is friends with your friend I'm assuming that's not the case here.

I usually just keep those kinds of people at a distance, depending on how obnoxious they were about it. If I thought they were open enough, I would discuss gender roles with them, how not everyone follows the traditional roles and how that's ok. That kind of thing. It helped sometimes. I had no idea I might be trans at the time so there was no coming out involved.

7. June Cleaver

ignore it and be as ladylike as possible! women rarely like other women around their guys, trans women aren't women in their eyes and easy to dismiss. I would guess that's her game. I have shocked many women over the years as they're shocked when they discover by observing me that not only am I a woman like them, I surpass their abilities! then I get accepted usually. June

#7 June Cleaver, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry, but my first thoughts about this girl was "what a stupid (insert word here)".

I was born female, and that means other females treated me like "one of them". I've also heard the same words, by what I think it's a very simmilar kind of woman, turned into sentences like "yeah, you know, we, women... / we, girls..." It made me cringe everytime, because I knew I'd feel awful for not feeling like she told me.
    Then the funny thing was that I observed her behaviour around other girls/women, and guess what... She told them the same!

In my opinion, those words are not... Directly, specifically, adressed to you, so don't take them too personally. There is women/men that use those sentences a lot, "just because"... Maybe they find comforting "feeling like a X in a X world", and for some reason they tend to use that language.... But in my experience it's not terribly personal...

One of my theories is that those women are scared of men for some reason... They don't know how to handle them, or how to get respected, so they take refuge on a (fake) "pride of being a girl", and go about bragging about "girl's things" and so on...

I hope I'm not sounding like a mysoginist! I believe that they end up acting like this because of their experiences or education, not because they are women... And thanks god not all women/girls are like this...

I tend to avoid people using such sentences , because at the end they turn out to be very boring people, full of prejudices...

One thing you can try is to ask her directly "ok, what are girl's things? could you explain it to me?". And tell her to read some Simone de Beauvoir books :grin:

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, sorry I'm only just now getting around to responding again, just wanted to take time and process my responses! (*hug*) to everyone for your responses ^.^ I really appreciate your help and input!

First (*hug*) cause you're awesome and always try to offer some kind of advice to me and others ^^ :kiss:

Second, all good advice... Maybe I should try putting on nail polish again... I'll get some weird looks from my friends but they've seen me do it before... I don't have any clothes that are really feminine though... Just T-shirts with ironic slogans and stuff... I'm too nervous to buy the clothes I really want... >.<

lol xP Wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken for a gay male. Which is funny cause they're wrong on two fronts~ :lol:

Well, I'll say this much I don't think she's attracted to me, she currently has a boyfriend... Also she doesn't seem completely comfortable around me (Maybe its the death glares and seething :lol:slight_smile: Though you do have me thinking there may be some insecurity there. Just because she's friends with men doesn't mean she feels completely comfortable surrounded by them.

I'm not sure I could talk to her about gender though... I'm never alone with her long enough, and it would be awkward with my friend in the room...

Well... I'm not really looking to compete with her in femininity :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I certainly don't feel like I have to prove anything to her either. Again though she has no idea I'm trans so I don't think its intentional or anything transphobic in her actions.

First, (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)!
    I've been there too, usually with guys that didn't know me and were nervously trying to relate or something. >.> Most of my friends at least know I'm not a typical guy even if they don't know I'm a girl.

This was all very insightful and interesting to read. And no I don't think you come off misogynistic at all :slight_smile: idk that she's scared of men, though she may be insecure for one reason or another...

I think its funny though, I remember not feeling so strongly about hearing statements like "its a girl thing" cause I'd just laugh it off and roll my eyes thinking "You have no idea sweetie" but now its like... "HOW DARE YOU!" is all that rings in my head! I'm too sensitive now! xD

-------------------

Thank you everyone, this has been really helpful! ^^ I'll try to put together a battle plan for the next time she's over >:3

10. June Cleaver

sorry to quote this whole thing but i'm using a half black screen smart phone and this is difficult. NEVER ACT! I am June, just June and to be John I Act and come off phoney. I was unaware you are not sure of your gender. I have never been male, not even as a young child. I find it impossible to become friends with straight women. except one. She came over with my friend D and judged me gay then the first night she watched me impaired flawlessly cook 6 things all ready to serve at once one being difficult and most would take undivided attention both talking at once I answered D first as I was at a crucial stage at stove I looked at her and repeated her conversation and answered her as I served explaining I had to answer him first as I was taught and is proper for a lady. I wasn't ignoring her! ! she from that moment understood i'm not a gay man. I was being me putting no show on. we are true friends every since! male's noticed me at age 12 and I forget what I look like not cross dressed. women always treat me like a threat so to imply me male in front of their men makes me look in their eyes gay and discredit me somehow, but never works as I ignore it. June

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you (*hug*)(*hug*):kiss:(*hug*)(*hug*)

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know where you got the idea I'm not sure of gender June. That's not the case at all. I'm pretty much all figured out on this end. :lol:

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of sucks not being able to comment.

Even to some of the people I'm out to I still get the "it's a girl thing you wouldn't understand" response.

Hellooooo, are you even looking at me? The six foot blonde with eye shadow and a pink tight shirt? No... I have no idea.

Stay strong sistah!

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Kasey! (*hug*)