1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your personality like before you came out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wanderinggirl, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

(In the loosest definition of "came out").

What were you like when you presented as your birth gender, or before you figured out that you were not your birth gender?

Were you happy, unhappy, timid, outgoing, angry?

What changed, personality-wise, once you made whatever changes you've made?

2. Rainbows~Exist

The same vibrant and open personality as today to an extent. The only difference now that I'm out as gay is that I don't care what people think of me which means that I'm now twice as vibrant as before.

3. Dapper

I was honestly a lot less afraid. Before I would yell out my "dyke pride" and defend myself when anyone got on my case about my masculinity. Now I just.. Shrink away when I get harassed about my birth gender. When people call me a dyke.. I let them. I get scared of reacting any other way. Kinda sucks

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Before I came out.. Well, the thing is I'm not really 100% out.

About a year or two ago I was afraid to be masculine.

I was the opposite of the person I am now. I tried my best to "act like every other girl" but knew it wasn't me. I was afraid to be who I really am.

Just recently have I begun to accept myself, and I have changed completely, reflecting who I really am, not some facade

5. AsheTheHuman

Scared. All the time, 24/7. Probably because I was trying too hard to present myself as a boy and was afraid people were going to call me out on that or find out about some of my 'girly' tendencies.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was closed to contact. I would wear super baggy clothes to hide the fact that I had a puberty. I would get violent with people if they would bother me. I would also refer to myself in a androgynous manner (and people who speak it know that it's almost impossible in French). If I couldn't be neutral, I chose the masculine. I never tried to hide my masculine side, it's just that I was trying to find out how living as a girl was at all possible (Hint: It isn't, for me anyway).

Now, I'm more happy and I look relaxed. I don't get angry fast and I don't panic anymore. I express myself in anyway I want and if someone bothers me, I tell them off.

7. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not out yet, but just coming to terms with my gender identity now. But I think that now that I've accepted that I have a feminine side, I won't be as afraid to express it with accesorizings and incorporating more feminine elements in my dress, it already creeps out in my speech.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I was very shy, reserved, passive. I didn't talk very much, didn't associate myself very much with other people, except when I hit puberty and tried to 'fit in' more, but I was still very awkward. A lot of self-confidence issues, self-esteem issues, body issues (which were initially dismissed as 'negative body image' but it took me years afterward to realise that it was all dysphoria).

While I'm still a rather shy, reserved person, I don't feel nearly as insecure about myself, especially with my body. It's somewhat like a quiet confidence. Sure, I'm dorky, but rather than feeling embarrassed about it, I kind of embrace it. I'm sometimes charming, too. I guess I just feel a lot more confident, expressive, more keen on sharing my thoughts/opinions, etc. I just feel so much more like myself. It's a difference between night and day.

9. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    before i came out to my friend cora i was a bit shy, i would flinch at any sudden movements afraid she was going to hit me, but when i came out i was much more fourthcoming and happy and overall less dystorphic. still flinch tho, idk why???

10. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm i don't think my personality changed exactly.... I'm not really all that out to anyone but I guess when I'm around people who know I'm more confident and playful.

11. swan32145

swan32145 Guest

I was angry, shy, neurotic, and easy to offend. The fact that I had to sneak around to use bathrooms, the depression, the messy, greasy stubble, long hair, tendency to have panic attacks and my various odd habits made people look at me like I was crazy. I couldn't stand being near people because they interacted with me interrupting me as male. A lot of things I did didn't make sense to a lot of people, and they were pretty open about the fact that I looked like a criminal. One person said my school ID looked like a mug shot. Strange, considering I've never actually looked that masculine. Now I can actually talk to people! As sad as that is, it's a big step up for me. People don't look at me like a crazy person anymore, too, which is nice. I'm not as wound up as I used to be, but I seem depressed about as often as usual, though it's more mild. I've also cleaned up my appearance, and now people pretty much assume I'm gay or trans* as soon as they meet me.

12. SockPuppet

My friends who I'm out to say that I seem much more happy than they've seen me in a long time, are more "me", which I guess is true. I've always been fairly quiet and shy and don't imagine that will ever truly change.

13. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was timid and self-concious, although I could be aggressive at times.

Now I am a lot more confident and happy. :3

14. stormborn

pretty much the same, but a lot more depressed.

15. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out yet, so nothing much has changed. If anything I'm worse. I'm really awkward and uncomfortable all the time, and get upset over tiny things. I'm angry and i get violent when I can't control it. My personality is screwed up. Im creepy and twisted. I have extremely bad self esteem and self hate issues wich have gotten way worse since I realised I was trans. I honestly hope I get killed one day because I'm such a disgusting person. But I also feel like its easier to step back and look clearly at myself so my self esteem is slowly making a comeback.:confused: really hope coming out will help change how I see myself cos right now this hole im in is just getting deeper.:dry: