1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to any post-op FtM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bring it, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm thinking of possibly getting breast surgery someday so that I can permanently appear male, and I'm wondering how that surgery would work. Also, does it leave a scar?

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not post-op, but I've read up on the subject. There are different kinds of chest surgery depending on the size of the chest, condition of the skin, and your budget (on average, this sort of surgery runs at least $6000). The most common kind is double incision surgery, or a bilateral masectomy. I won't go into too many details, but basically they remove the extra tissue and make the chest flat, then graft the nipples back on in their relative location. This leaves two horizontal scars on the bottom of the pec area. Small chested guys can sometimes get a peri-areolar surgery if they have good skin elasticity. This sort of surgery is a little more complicated, but it leaves few scars. Large chested guys can sometimes get an inverted T surgery, which scars like a double incision plus a vertical scar running between each nipple and each horizontal scar, making an upside down T shape.

All 3 types of surgery only take a few hours, and are typically outpatient procedures. Healing time is usually 6-8 weeks. They do all leave some scars.

3. wanderinggirl

On the mental/emotional side, I've read that some guys want to have zero scarring so they can pass and move on with their lives without anything giving them away, for safety reasons, or just aesthetic reasons. Other guys like the scars and want them to be a reminder of their journey even if the peri-areolar option is available to them.