1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male/female mannerisms?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlexL, Sep 20, 2014.

1. AlexL

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone. I know this was probably asked a million times, but I couldn't find any threads in the recent pages ('cause I won't look up 102 pages), but what male mannerisms I should adopt and which typically female mannerisms I should avoid?
    I know some things should be avoided, like high voice pitches, avoid crossing legs, etc, but I want to know things that are not that obvious but are also important. Thanks!

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find this interesting. In my opinion, you should act how is comfortable to you, not how society makes you think you should act. Why can't you be a slightly feminine acting boy if that is your true nature? Just because you are trans does not mean you have to have fake behaviors, in my opinion, if you feel like a man, won't the behaviors follow and be your natural inclination? I don't mean to offend, I just feel like people should act how they want and not how they think they should act to fit a certain gender! Do what is comfortable.

That said, to answer your question, I remember reading that men tend to walk more with their shoulders, while women tend to walk more with their hips. In regards to leg crossing, I think for men it is acceptable to cross them but leave a gap, if that makes sense -- girls cross them one over the other, but men need (I don't usually lol) a gap so they don't uncomfortably smash their balls/penis. I'm grasping at straws here.

3. AlexL

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know about this, I want to feel comfortable so I need to change some mannerisms, you know? Some of my female mannerims make me uncomfortable.
    I don't want to change myself just to fit, I want to do it just for myself, I don't want to fake anything :slight_smile:

4. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should stop doing them and just go ahead with what makes you feel comfortable then. The mannerisms you should avoid are the one you don't feel comfortable doing and you are the one who know which you feel uncomfortable having, it's that simple. I don't recommend avoiding them if it's just because of how other people might think about you though, unless it's really necessary.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Well I changed some of my mannerisms and I feel a lot more confident and better when I do it so it's not necessarily a bad thing

Try watching guys around you for some ideas. Try to act confident too, that's a big one. Step 7 on this page has some good tips too

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I understand where you're coming from. Being as I am transfeminine, I find similar issue with male mannerisms. I find some of the more feminine mannerisms to be more natural, honestly, but I find over the course of my life I've been (subconsciously) covering them with culturally instilled masculine ones.

Each passing day, I find it easier to drop the instilled mannerism act and be myself, in spite of my quite conservative area of residence. And, with each passing day, I find myself more comfortable and, well, happier! Just be yourself, let it flow, and ease into that wonderful person you truly are inside!

7. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hugs. If you are a hugger, your hugs need to be brief. Most guys do not give long hugs ESPECIALLY to other men. Hugs are very fast exchanges.

Don't smile at other guys. If you are used to smiling when you make eye contact, don't. It could be considered creepy or provocative to another man. If you make eye contact, either do nothing or maybe a quick nod or something.

I recommend reading Just Add Hormones by Matt Kailey. It's an excellent read, especially for FtMs in my opinion and gives some good pointers.

8. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm probably the last person on the planet to look to four advice on acting like a guy, but I do agree about body contact. High fives/ fist bumps and for very close make friends there is the "bro hug" which is like a handshake while patting each other on the back.
    Depending on the level of sophistication of the group, things like sitting, scratching, and gas may be acceptable.
    Be a assertive and confident. Stand up tall and don't play with your hair. These last few things were the list of why one commentator told be I reminded him more of his teen step daughter than of a guy.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

So, I agree with what Austin said about walking

Most guys do walk with their shoulders, at least a little. I have noticed this difference.
    I didn't know guys can't cross their legs.. In Japan lots of guys do this, more than girls even.

Cultral differences I guess..

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many guys walk with hands in pockets and tend to slouch when sitting. Some guys will cross their legs, but many will never do that, although they may rest the ankle of one leg on top of the knee of their other leg. Also, when seated, most guys have legs slightly (or sometimes very obviously) apart. If there is another chair or desk to put feet on though, they will do it. :slight_smile:

When drinking, guys will happily drink straight from a bottle, carton or can. Eating normally only requires a fork (guys can cut steak with a fork!), but hands will do fine. At breakfast time any milk remaining in the cereal bowl can be downed straight from the bowl.. no spoon required.

#10 PatrickUK, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  11. KayJay

You mentioned high pitches in your first post which is definitely obvious. But something not as many people realize is that when women speak they usually end their sentence on a higher pitch than the sentence started. You could try to make sure you don't do that, not sure if it would make much of a difference but it could help a bit.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... And it takes practice for someone born female to stop twisting your legs, men tend to take more space than females, not only just when using a chair, but in general. In my experience it feels great, very liberating, it's worth to make an effort to get this... back.

... Been doing that all my life. I wonder why men do that... 'Conqueror' reflex? :lol:

I guess the best way is to observe how other males move, and try to pick up what you consider it suits you best. Never fake things, or fall for a 'tought guy' show, because you'll end up looking like a 'constipated robot', as someone said.

13. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When it comes to pretty much any physical contact, be firm and somewhat impersonal, handshakes, fist-bumps and such are typically about the most touching guys do so try and stick to that level of contact. Hugging and such should probably be mostly avoided as frankly I have never seen other guys greet each other with hugs (may just be a cultural thing, so take that for what it is). If you are the kind of person who is always checking their nails and trying to get dirt out from under them et cetera, don't do that. Avoid commenting on other guys physical appearances/choice of clothes too much, it is fine to say if someone has a cool shirt, or got a stupid haircut (then you poke fun at them) but don't make a habit of talking about appearance/clothing often. Also, prolonged eye contact is a no-no, unless for purposes of a staring contest. When standing and talking, don't face directly towards the person you are talking too, instead face off at a slight angle as if you were both facing some third person off to the side of the conversation (this is of course mostly for when you are talking with just 1 other guy). When standing, make sure your weight is balanced about evenly on both feet so that you aren't pushing one side of your hip out. (Almost) Never put your hands on your hips, when just sitting/standing when your hands aren't busy doing something, cross your arms or put your hands in your pockets. When generally talking, avoid being too talkative, it is fine to just shrug and kind of grunt or make a short remark in response to some statements, like "how did that test go you think", *shrug* "eh, alright". Of course this isn't too say that you should be Mr. Silent, just avoid being overly talkative. These are just some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head

Source: My experience and observations as what most people would consider a "straight acting" gay guy, whose circle of friends is pretty much exclusively cishet guys.