1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing guys clothes?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Sep 21, 2014.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, it's been a while since I've been on here but something's been bugging me lately- I like to dress like a boy in private but it makes me uncomfortable in public. Mostly because I'm not out and I wonder all day if people can tell if I'm wearing the opposite gender's clothing from what I still go by.

I dunno, I just get SO worked up about it. It stresses me out, and I'm not sure what to do.

2. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

I can relate a lot. I used to feel the exact same way. What I'd do is just ease your self slowly into wearing guys clothes in public. Start small by wearing just a plain men's shirt, maybe even underneath a hoodie. Then, once you are fully comfortable with that, try a men's hoodie or jacket. Then keep adding things to your outfit until you are fully clothed in guys wear.

I hope I helped :slight_smile:

3. tone

I agree with ElvenDragon, maybe start by wearing just one item of clothing. People usually won't notice the difference between guy's jeans and girl's jeans or a guy's t-shirt and a girl's t-shirt. I have cis female friends who wear men's t-shirts and no one gives it a second thought. You could also start by wearing less visible men's clothing like underwear or an undershirt or something, maybe even some socks from the men's department.

I was super scared when I first started school that people would notice I was wearing male clothing and think it was weird (since I'm not out yet). But nobody says anything about it. Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine.

4. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Girl's can get away with guy's clothing all the time. It's not really weird, and I doubt many people or anyone will think twice.
    That being said - it's more about you. Do what you feel comfortable with. Even if you're not out yet, you're still male. You deserve to wear what you want.