1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a name for this?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Starfleet, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi Everypony. :slight_smile:

Something I've been thinking about for decades, I don't know what to call what I'm feeling so I'll describe it. If this is in the wrong forum, my apologies. Anyhoo, I'm male, a big, average Roast Beef of a guy. But - a lot of times I wish I could be a girl. Like, I tried to tell the parents when I was 17. I had a comic book that had a cool cover, Wolverine, Captain America, and super-hottie the Black Widow on the cover. So I showed my parents, told them I wished I was big, strong, awesome like Cap, *but* I also wished I was a glamorous, gorgeous woman like Black Widow. It didn't go over well, Dad suggesting that I need stronger BiPolar meds, so I let it go.

But the feelings haven't ever left. I wish I could be hot, pretty, sexy. One of the reasons I collect fashion dolls is they are a way to experience beauty and glamor. I watch one of my favorite cartoons, Jem and the Holograms, and I want to *be* Jem. But, I would also still like to be like Captain Picard from Star Trek, cool calm, wise leader of men.

It's not that I think these feelings are wrong, I just wish I had a name for them and a way to understand them. :slight_smile:

2. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard to choose a specific label based on what you have said here, because you haven't entirely talked about your feelings. It sounds like you are cisgender (assigned male at birth and still identify as male) but you possibly are interested in crossdressing/typically feminine activities/collectibles?
    This is part of gender expression. I can't be sure, but it sounds like you wish you could (at least at times) be more feminine and/or beautiful. I can't remember if there is a term for someone who is cis male but with some feminine gender expression, but I hope some of these terms help.

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Oh yes, I'll try to be more clear. I'm attracted to feminine things, clothes, make-up, jewelry, and I really wish sometimes that I could be like a sexy girl. But, I still like guy stuff. When I play things like MMOs, I make female characters, like my Captain in Star Trek Online is a totally sexy, totally capable female.

Does that make more sense?

4. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    From my interpretation, I'd suggest bigender, maybe genderfluid, maybe demigender.

5. Summer Rose

Hmm, well there's nothing wrong with being mtf, but being both masculine and feminine; if anything, it just shows you're human, liking a variety of things, regardless if they stick to the bullshit masc/femme identities.

Hell, I know I'm a woman, but I definitely don't want to wear skirts, and I hardly care for make-up. I'm fine with being a tomboy, and there's nothing wrong with that :slight_smile:

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Thanks for the responses, Everypony. :slight_smile: yes, I don't see anything wrong with my feelings, except for the confusion I feel is frustrating. I like myself better when I just do my thing, if it's posing a Jem doll for photos, working on a scale model tank, or playing STO, I'm just questioning what I could do to express myself more?

Dolls are a safe, pleasing way to express glamour and femininity. I think I would look so horrid dressing up or in cosmetics that it would just cause shame.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have a desire to express your masculine and feminine qualities simultaneously with your presentation, you could be an androgyne. Androgynous people often choose to express themselves by blending characteristics of the two binary genders into some unique third thing, and generally prefer to be seen as neither male nor female (though some androgynes prefer to be seen as more male than female, or more female than male).

If you sometimes feel very male, and other times feel very female, you could be genderfluid. Fluid people tend to shift from one sense of expression and identity to another, having a "boy mode" and "girl mode". They sometimes like to be seen as male, and other times, as female.

If you just happen to enjoy both masculine and feminine things, have both masculine and feminine role models, and feel pretty much comfortable with who you are, then I'd say you're an open minded, well-rounded human that doesn't feel limited by society's "black and white" mentality about gender and gender roles. Which is a wonderful thing to be. :slight_smile:

8. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi! Thanks for the info. :slight_smile: I don't think I'm androgyne, but I love the sound of the others. :slight_smile:

I'm going to call me "Genderfluid" for now. :slight_smile:

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be a hot girl too.

But in reality I just want to be that girl next door.

But you should see my activities. I like video games, karate, misogynistic and vulgar rap and gross humor.

But I like clothes and fashion and being able to express emotions without ridicule.

Your feelings are not uncommon here.

10. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi Kasey. :slight_smile: You have *no* idea how much you folks here are helping me. I feel like I have a place to fit in now. :slight_smile:

11. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    i totaly feel you, i like dresses and skirts, makeup, high heels ect. but i also like baggy clothes, rock and roll, zombie games and other freakishly boyish things.

12. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

That's awesome. :slight_smile: It feels really good to be more myself, y'know?

13. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah, keeping it all bottled up makes you feel depressed and physicly drained.

14. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

That's for sure. I have no idea what comes next, but I feel really peaceful and happy right now. :slight_smile:

15. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Good cuz thats what were here for :slight_smile: :3

16. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Thank you. It really means a lot. :slight_smile:

17. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Np, i would want the same from you if this were me.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've bottled this shit for 32 years. No more.

19. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I hear you. We gotta be who we are, right?

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well take a look at my avatar. Do I look happy?

Yea I do, and yea I am.