1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trigger warning: Transphobia.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Sep 25, 2014.

1. itsAli

I was talking to a guy on my bus today, B about being Transgender because I needed to vent to someone and he’s a good open minded friend, he said I can wear a tux to the winter ball he’s organizing, and I was sat next to my friend D, B in front of us, facing us.
    I was telling him how angry and pissed off I was that one of my friends told a guy who thought I was cisgender (and hot) that I was trans and started crying because of reasons it annoyed me and I want people to see me as cisgender and it was nice knowing one person did and she took away my right to tell him myself and I am more than a label blah blah

D: Well, maybe it’s good she told him, that way he isn’t taken by surprise and he doesn’t get feelings for you.
    Me: But it’s my choice if he knows or not.
    D: Yeah, but you should tell everyone so there’s no nasty surprises if they do get feelings for you.

Then B told him to shut up because he didn’t know what he was talking about, but it made me so angry. Why the fuck should I have to out myself to everyone so they ‘don’t get the wrong idea’ his viewpoint was completely toxic and pissed me off so much.
    She annoyed me too, it was nice being stealth to one person, and she told him, she had no right to, I am not a label, I don’t want people to see me as a trans male, I want them to see me as a male. Me being transgender does not define who I am, and her telling people is out of order, it’s my decision and I can tell who I want. I cried when talking about it, the first person I know to think I’m cisgender, it gave me so much confidence and she took that away from me.

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I'm sorry this happened itsAli. I think it's awful that she outed you, and awful that the other friend is judging you.

I don't know what else to say, except that I think people should be who they are. If I can help in any way, please ask. :slight_smile:

3. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is incredibly rude of them to out you like that. I'm sorry to hear it happened. And it is none of their business if people are interested in you romantically or not. That is strictly between you and whoever might be interested. They should let you be who you are without dehumanizing you like that.

On the bright side, it shows that you must pass well, so that is good.