1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns Issue

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by VermillionTide, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, I am ftm, and I pass almost consistently, however because of my families religious beliefs, they won't change or neutralize my pronouns. I've been out as transgender for over two years now, and I pass all the time, but because my family won't change what they call me and I feel too whiney insisting it, I'm always outed in public.

I usually don't care as much if it's around people we know, but if it's some random store clerk, I always find myself walking quickly away before my parents can reference me, which makes me look rude: I just don't feel like being called a girl and having an unnecessary awkward moment But it's too the point where I just get up and walk away from people approaching, so I'm sure a lot of my parent's friends think I'm a jerk or something, and same with people at school who I've never met before and try to speak with me.

I'm wondering how do all usually deal with that embarrassing moment; and how you approach situations like this?

2. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I have embarrassing situations too. Sometimes I pass as a pre-pubescent boy, and several times at my dad's ups store where I work, people have called me sir or asked if I was his son in front of him. Usually I get really red in the face when this happens, even though it's what I'd ideally prefer. I've been called sir at restaurants in front of my whole family, and my mom is the only one who I'm really out to.

I too avoid situations where I might be called female pronouns. I don't answer the phone because then I will just be fucking mam'd. I also tend to avoid certain people that I think may use female pronouns on me, but normally I'm there when they say it, so usually I will just get really quiet and try to ignore what they just said.

I hate being treated like a girl, especially by my uncle who will shake my brother's hand and act all manly with him, whereas me, he will hug and sweetly kiss me. It disgusts me.

If it's random people you will never see again, I would just try your best to ignore it, but if it's people you know or will see again, tell them not to use pronouns on you. I'm not sure if you're out to your parents or not, but if not, then you might want to start there, and try coming out. I know this is easier said than done, because I still can't sum up the courage to tell people the truth even though the pain is unbearable.

3. Yeah I get you, I avoid situations where I'll be pronouned also, but that's almost every situation so I think I need to do something about it. Also, I'm out to my parents, but they just don't believe that people can be male in female bodies or vice versa so they think calling me a girl a lot will rewire my thinking or something.

I'm glad you wrote the thing about getting red in the face when called sir, because that's something I've experienced too, but it's not because you dislike the pronoun, it's just you know your parents either in your case don't know so assume you don't want to be called that, or in my case you know your parents will correct them.

4. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Yea, I just want to tell people the truth about me. But I fear I will always live in the shadow of some girl I am not. I know people won't take me seriously for the most part, but the best thing I can do is tell the truth anyway.

What hurts the most, is seeing all these straight cisguys with there girlfriends or buds, none of which I will ever have because of this body.

But hang in there man, you just have to get your parents to understand you more.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hated when these moments happened. When I first came out, my parents did this all of the time. Now that I have been out for a while, they have gotten used to not doing that. Also, there was an moment at walmart where my parents nearly got me assaulted because they called me female...

Really, there is not much that you can do to convince them to use the pronouns you want them to use. For me, it took almost being assaulted for them to start to try. Now it's to the point where if they do not use male pronouns, then they are looked at funny, not me.

So, if this happens, I would brush it off and try to act natural about it. You might even be able to frame it is a joke. That worked well for me a few times.