1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to Begin?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alice In Blue, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Alice In Blue

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I guess, first off, hi? This is a bit of a new thing for me.
    I'm trying to get a little bit more of an understanding of gender and sexuality, or lack thereof.
    I am physiologically female, which feels natural to me. I am only interested in males, yet I don't ever seem to have an opinion on or attraction to those I don't know fairly well. I don't fully identify with either of the binary genders. I feel this causes a lot of confusion among my peers who are quick to try to assign me to "feminine" to "assure" me or don't understand why when they ask if I think someone is cute, I don't have an opinion to offer.
    Questions I have right now. . .
    How do you know whether you identify as both binary genders or neither?
    Is there a term for my sexuality?
    If you have some insight, I'd love to hear it.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Am I Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender?
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/150966-androgyne-identity.html#14

There is romantic attraction and sexual attraction.
    And its called demisexual if you need to establish an emotional connection for sexual attraction...

The tg spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to srs.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this.
    Its your choice what you want to do...

You possibly might elaborate a bit more...

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Alice, it's good to meet you. :slight_smile: I think it's good that you are asking your questions. I've only been here for a week or so, but my new friends here are helping me discover so much about who I really am. :slight_smile:

Explore with us, we will help you, and you will help us. :slight_smile:

4. Alice In Blue

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Nice to meet you Jay and Star. :slight_smile:

Jay, I looked into both articles you linked for me. (Thank you by the way.) I think the second one applies more to me. I have never really felt that I was in the wrong body, maybe just that my body doesn't reflect my full gender identity. Some days I gravitate more toward one or the other, but most, I find myself as something hybrid I don't have a name for yet. I've heard the term demisexual in passing before, but it makes sense. I'm not sure how to elaborate further.
    Star, hi. My apologies for such an abrupt introduction. I wasn't really sure how to start this conversation. I know there are no simple answers, but I hope to ask the right questions to get started. I'll do my best to help others too. :slight_smile:

5. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

No apology needed, Alice. :slight_smile: Good luck on your journey, we can all help each other. I'm trying to figure out what I really am, too.

I'd say, if a label, category, or idea excites you, explore it. The excitement is our instinct telling us something we need to hear.

6. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as genderqueer and try and present in an androgynous way. What it means to me is that I don't feel strongly alligned to either of the binary genders. I guess if you pushed me I'd say I feel somewhere in between like you described but I don't think thats a good description of my personality or view of myself either :/

as to who your attracted too, am I right in assuming that you need some intimacy before you feel physically attracted to someone? If so I think that might be more normal than you think, I certainly feel that way a lot. Maybe you just don't have as strong a sexuality as your friends?

7. AlexTheGrey

Alice, I just wanted to pop out of lurking for a bit to say that I totally get how you feel. I think you just described the core thing that's been nagging at me, and prompted me to join. So, you are definitely not alone here. :slight_smile:

8. Alice In Blue

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ctrl Alt Delete,
    I consider myself "a pixie with muscle". Others tend to want to steer me into the box of femininity as a "wayward tomboy" or "inexperienced girl". On the occasions when I dress "girly" people tend to comment on it. It's all positive stuff they're saying, but somehow it just frustrates me. It feels like positive reinforcement to fit the mold. I mean, I never hear a word when I wear my new Zombie Response Team shirt. I don't like the inconsistency of people's opinions. . . You're definitely on point in saying it takes an intimate connection for me to feel physical attraction. If my sexuality is weaker than most of my peers, it's by a good bit. I don't understand "cute or not?", or celebrity crushes. I just try to get through the conversation without ruining their fun on those.

Alex The Gray,
    Hi. It really is good to hear other people say they are trying to figure it out too. Thanks for "de-lurking"! :slight_smile:

#8 Alice In Blue, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  9. Kimika

I know exactly where you are coming from. I also don't really know whether I identify as both or neither. One thing I do know and it gives me some comfort is I KNOW that I'm not one or the other and I'm OK with that for now :icon_bigg.