1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTMs who are into men

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wanderinggirl, Sep 27, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

Gay FTMs: so I totally get the difference between gender dysphoria and sexual orientation discomfort, but I feel like I wouldn't have felt like my gender was the issue if I hadn't explored the idea of maybe being a bi/gay female. But I know I've always been into guys; I just felt like I had to be someone I wasn't in order to date them. It was only when I figured out attraction to women that I felt like I was allowed to explore gender.

I just don't think I would have pushed my gender if I hadn't sat in a room full of lesbians/queer women and wondered why I felt like I was not as feminine as they were.

Do any other FTM dudes who are into dudes have remotely similar experiences? Or was gender a pretty straightforward line for you?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well... I dunno. Before I knew I was trans, I came out as a lesbian . But I constantly fantasized about men. I felt like a gay man but the last thing I wanted was to be a guy's girlfriend. So lesbian it was until I figured out my gender. I mean, I wouldn't call myself 100% gay. A part of me finds women attractive. But I just don't feel aroused by the idea if being with one.

Once I figured out my gender, it felt like I could really explore my sexuality. Because hey, when you question one thing may as well question something else.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Nope. I'm a dude. I like (LOVE) guys. Don't like girls one bit. I wear skirts, makeup, paint my nails and have long hair. I'm still a dude. A very gay one, but yeah.

I am not a girl, I know that, and I wouldn't think anything different. And whoever actually wants to date me, should know that too or else, bye bye

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also have a pansexual FTM friend who identified as lesbian before, because he thought that that's what being a lesbian was all about - masculine and into women. It's funny, because now he jokes that he's been "adopted" by gay men, and has a bit of sugar in his step. XD

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Before I realized I was trans, I identified as aromantic asexual because I was so uncomfortable with the idea of having sex, and I hated the idea of being the girlfriend to a guy. It wasn't until I realized I was trans that I started to feel okay exploring my feelings, and I realized I was actually gay

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It wasn't until I found I had some attraction to girls (when I still thought I was a girl) that I started questioning my gender. But it was due to me being ignorant about transgender people. If I'd have known anything about being transgender, even just the basics, I would have known sooner, because I'd shown male tendencies since I was young.

7. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started coming on this forum because I thought I might be bi, then discovered that I'm actually genderqueer if not outright trans (if I had known this when I joined I wouldn't have put an "-ess" on the end of my username...)

The kind of relationship I prefer is one of equals, without all of the trappings of gender roles and expectations. What I want is more or less a "homoromantic" relationship, a relationship with someone who is similar to myself.

It sometimes seems like gender roles are hard to get past in heterosexual relationships (I also enjoy being a "top"), and I've wondered if being with a woman would be different ... but I think that's not exactly what I want. I feel more comfortable around men, and tend to form stronger emotional connections with men ... I just want to be treated like one.

That being said ... I can find both male and female bodies sexually attractive, and I think if I met a woman (or transperson) with whom I felt a deep emotional connection, the exact gender or genitals wouldn't matter so much. I'm just not very likely to feel a connection with a very feminine person.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Are there any other Trans guys who never had attraction to females?

I like feminine men, but definitely not girls

Dragon, I believe you can ask the mods to change your username

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I never have

10. wanderinggirl

I have some attraction to women, but I suspect a big part of it is how they make me feel, if that makes sense. I seem to be pickier with women than with men.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not attracted to feminine women or androgynous women. However, I am to masculine women and androgynes as well as most men, which is why I call myself homoflexible. But I've tried to find attraction to girly girls or ordinary girls to be more straight, and it doesn't work.

12. stormborn

just before i realized i was trans, i thought maybe the source of my discomfort was that i was actually gay. so i tried wearing that label for a while. it made me feel even worse than before -- partly because i actually do like guys as well as girls, and partly because it emphasized that i was female. (i hope this made any sense at all? :lol:slight_smile:

it also never quite got through my head that gay men wouldn't have been attracted to me (when i identified as female, that is). it was kind of strange :lol:

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well not sure this is any different than MtFs being lesbians?

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm definitely attracted to the ladies, but men might be okay too.
    My sexuality isn't my priority right now. I agree with Kasey, though- how is it any different?

15. wanderinggirl

That does make sense, thanks for sharing! I had trouble owning the "gay" label and yet I felt like I couldn't be with guys again unless something changed... my first boyfriend was all about me being feminine, long hair etc, and I think that really stuck with me.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

No it isn't! Sorry it sounded like I was only interested in one gender's perspective. I should probably extend this to gay/bi trans-identified people of all genders. The only reason I asked about ftm is I thought maybe I'd identify with those experiences more? But I've got much to learn from you as well and of course i'm interested in your perspective, Kasey! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

It'd actually be neat to hear from MTF lesbians as well.

#15 wanderinggirl, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  16. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first boyfriend actually liked the fact that I was androgynous (it was the 80's, after all). I got into a clique afterwards that was much more gender-dysmorphic and sort of made a transition to female. I ended up with a boyfriend who was very into traditional gender roles and I always felt out of place, like I was playing a role, and wasn't very good at it to boot. After I broke up with him I suddenly felt so free.

I've been told many times that someone wasn't attracted to me because I was "like one of the guys" --- which was gratifying and frustrating at the same time. I think some of them even thought I was lesbian because of the way I dress and act, which was why they felt comfortable around me. I never thought of going for gay men, I always assumed they wouldn't find me attractive because of my womanly parts. I did discover genderqueer/bi guys at some point, and that usually worked out better.

I never tried going for women, the occasional whispers of "lesbian" usually resulted in me avoiding getting too close out of fear of confirming it. It's almost more of an aesthetic attraction than a desire to have a relationship. I can't imagine being in a serious relationship with a feminine woman, and I don't feel drawn to the lesbian scene. I don't think I could really relate to a feminine world. I have met androgynous/masculine women that I've found attractive, though.

17. Abdadhie

I'm not out yet but I just came out as gay (because I like men). That being said I'm confused as hell about what my orientation is!

18. ThePrideInside4

Technically I'm genderfluid, but I like being called an FtM transgender. I started experiencing GID (Gender Identity Disorder) after I identified myself as pansexual. I started looking up to males and FtMs.

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

But I also love males and FtMs.

19. wanderinggirl

Ah the 80s... so much androgyny! Now it seems to be only for tall skinny white women with really feminine features.

It's funny how if you're dfab you're either a straight feminine woman or a gay masculine woman in society's eyes; like there are no shades of gray or separation between gender identity and gender expression, no matter how much you try to prove it. Gay women have assumed I'm a gay woman as well, and I haven't exactly denied it, but I think it's inaccurate.

20. itsAli

I love people of any gender, however I could only have a sexual relationship with men, and even then, hardly. I think I may be asexual, but panromantic, I don't know.