1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acm, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

My mom is ok with me taking T in the future, but she's really worried about the risks of cancer. Is there a big risk of getting cancer from T?

Also she worries about me going bald, and I told her that mostly depended on genetics, that's true right?

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I know the bald thing is genetics.

If male family members are going bald, you're probably gonna go bald too.
    Me, I'm lucky as I have no balding genes at all. So when I start testosterone I will keep my lovely hair. Haha

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, both of those things depends on genetics. Some studies have shown a higher risk of cancer, but other studies have not shown that risk. So, studies have been inconclusive. I am going to make sure to have regular screenings done, and if I notice something different, I'll have a screen done as well. I have a high cancer risk in my family though, since both my parents have had it.

The bald things does depend on genetics. I'm about 6 months on T, and I have not started to lose any of my hair. My dad has a full head of hair though, so I'm hoping that I won't have the hair loss.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said, balding depends largely on genetics. It might affect you and it might not. It varies from person to person.

As far as cancer goes, I agree with what Brad said. It's complicated and the word is mixed. It's best to get blood work and screenings every three months to make sure your levels are in check and everything is normal. I've heard various kinds of cancer are possible, but it's a case by case basis.

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't want to go bald... But there's no way of telling, as I was adopted and don't know any biological relations. Do chances of baldness also vary depending on how much T you take? (Sorry to mooch off of your thread, Acm.)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly, you really cannot pick and choose the effects of T. There are some positives and negatives. You'll have to weigh those and figure out if T is for you or not. It may take longer if you do low dose, but it would probably still happen since over time the T would make changes.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, and that sucks. Luckily for me there's only a few things I would hate about T...