1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel like it's a good thing?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HappyGirlLucky, Sep 29, 2014.

1. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might sound funny, but I actually feel like being trans is a positive thing in my life. Let me explain why:

I feel like we have faced one of the hardest things in the world, if I had a choice I would rather have been a cis woman in the front lines of a war. I stood up to the challenge and did it anyway, despite the intense fear, anxiety and (partially unfounded) panic and knowing I'd be a social outcast in my town forever and everywhere else until I pass. I came out on the other side with an experience few get to have, and I get to actually appreciate simply being myself for the rest of my life, something most people never do. I can't lose that, I can never be unhappy because I have all I ever wanted and there's no way you can take that away from me. I'm proud of myself for doing it, I'm proud of all my sisters, brothers and siblings going through the same thing. You go, people! (!)

I also have a lot of unique viewpoints on matters such as sexism and being an extreme majority (assumed cis, male and hetero, on top of that I'm white) vs. a very discriminated against minority (trans, female, gay). I didn't experience micro-aggressions first hand before, and I've learned to simply listen when someone tells me I'm being offensive. It's not like arguing my position makes it less offensive to them, that's just me trying to explain away my responsibility instead of just learning and not doing it again. I'm ashamed to say I had to experience it myself to really get it, but it did teach me to be patient with privileged people because they honestly don't always understand at all. I know it shouldn't be like that, but it is what it is and I can deal with it.

This helped me grow as a person in a way no other experience could have done. I'm thankful for it, and now I'll never doubt myself again. If we can do this, we can do anything. Who's up for solving world hunger next? :lol:

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Extremely well said. :slight_smile: I agree with *so* much of this.

I asked myself last night, why didn't I listen to myself sooner, trust myself sooner? But, at least I'm listening *now*, thanks to my friends here.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gave myself a lot of crap for not doing it sooner, too. You have the right attitude, you're listening now and that's all that matters. You're totally awesome for doing it at all! (*hug*)

P.S. I'm not exactly a pegasister (only seen a few episodes), but I love Fluttershy. :lol:

4. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Thanx! (*hug*) you folks here will never know how much you are helping me.

Oh yes, Fluttershy is just so AWE-sum. She's so sweet, so kind, and so wounded, but if you watch over the 4 (so far) seasons she's getting stronger, too. She's empowering to me.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Personally I wish I had been born cis, but I do feel like being born trans gave me a more interesting perspective on gender than most people. Like I don't really care about gender roles for example

6. wanderinggirl

This is really uplifting and a wonderful thing to say. I love everything about this post. In life you can't choose what's "good" and what's "bad". Everything that happens changes you and your surroundings just a little more, and it's up to you to make the most of it.

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, being born cis would definitely be easier. If I had been born that way I wouldn't have thought about it though, and I'm not sure I would have found peace with myself as soon as I did because I'm trans. This experience has taught my that happiness isn't found in money, stuff or other people, but within myself and allowing myself to be who I am without judgement.

Thank you! (*hug*) I agree with this too. One of the changes to our the surroundings is that when we transition we show those who know us that trans people aren't these crazy people you see on Jerry Springer, we're just as boring as the next person. We spread further knowledge about gender and equality just by being ourselves. :slight_smile:

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I do not think of being trans as a good thing. I'd rather have been born cis.

There are too many disadvantages being trans. The dysphoria is also putting strain on me and stressing me out every day. That is not a good thing.

I suppose in the future when I have completed my transition, I can say that I've been through a tough life.

But I still don't think of it as a good thing

9. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I hear you. I wonder if you know that you are helping me, though, and probably others, with your struggle. I'm learning so much from so many, and I thank you for that. :slight_smile:

If ever I can help you, please ask.

10. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rather have been born cis as well, and I think most would agree with you. I spent a sizable portion of my life confused and scared, when I should've been enjoying myself and partying with people. There is no doubt that it's a hell of a thing to go through.

I guess it's easier to see the good in it, and value everything I've learned about myself and life in general now that I'm simply looking back at it. I guess it can be comapred to how I absolutely hate pushing myself really hard while exercising, but when I'm done I feel absolutely amazing.

You're doing something really good for yourself, give yourself some credit. It's not about being able to claim having lived a tough life, but knowing you can handle whatever life throws at you. You're taking a hard crash course and graduating with a PhD, then you're going back to high school with the rest of the world still trying to discover themselves. You're playing the game of life on an extra hard difficulty level, because you're just that damn good, any other difficulty setting would've been too easy for you! You're a f:***:ng king! :king:

I'd say we have a symbiotic relationship going between all of us. :slight_smile: You're helping people too by just posting here. Everyone's helping everyone! Well, at least trying in my case, I'm not always the best at it. :lol:

#10 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  11. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Don't sell yourself short, either. :slight_smile: I agree that we can and are all helping each other.

12. wanderinggirl

Speak for yourself, I throw chairs on the regular, just to keep people on their toes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously though you rock.

13. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, finding out who you really are and being that person is wonderful.

14. wanderinggirl

This isn't exactly the same situation, but the first girl i dated wanted to make out in public because she wanted to show the world what radical things we're doing. I didn't like it. I was not meant to be an activist in my daily life; maybe this will change as I get more comfortable with myself. I just hate using my life as a political protest, you know? But especially when coming to terms with a painful identity that potentially puts you in harm's way, some people just want to transition and then live their life and that's not something to feel guilty about.

Take a look at http://notanotheraiden.com/trans-pride-vs-gay-pride/. He's a gay pride activist but not trans pride. Maybe you can relate in some way; don't feel bad if it's not a positive thing in your life.

15. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole wanting to make out in public thing would weird me out, even if I were in a straight relationship. I absolutely hate being the center of attention[*]. I am not a trans or gay activist despite belonging to both groups, because I just want to live my life. I am proud of myself for doing it, very much so, but I don't want anyone to find out either of those unless they need to. It's for me to be proud of for myself, I don't need others to validate my self-respect.

Oh, and you totally rock too! Let's rock together! I'm adding you as a friend. :slight_smile:

[*] Except for the throwing chairs thing we tend to do, of course. :lol: