1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to look more androgynous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Sep 29, 2014.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How can I make myself look more androgynous?

My breasts are pretty small, but they can still be noticed depending on what I wear. I can't get a binder. I've got body hair and a mustache to boot, yet people still register me as a female. My frame isn't what I would associate as being feminine. I am long and thin with little to no curves. My voice, on the other hand, is very feminine and I have been trying to talk in a softer and lower register. My hairstyle is a wavy-fro and I think that it may be making may face look more feminine and full.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you posted, I presume you are biologically female. Perhaps a more masculine haircut would help. I'm biologically male, and I've been growing my hair out to mask the masculine hairline ad deep widow's peaks. I don't have the straightest figure, but my chest is currently stuck completely flat. I use some small breast forms to address that.If you are wanting to reduce the apparent size of your chest, perhaps asportsbra? Remember,some guys do have breasts, especially if you are in the United States.

3. Mejj

You can do a lot with body language and baggy, manly clothes. Also, with a maskuline haircut. Also, I have a female face, so whe I want to pass as male, then I wear glasses. If they have the right colour and shape, glasses can make your face appear much more maskuline.
    As for your voice: Try to speak loud and deep. Also, I know transmen who also tried to catch colds so that their voice sounds a little more hoarse.
    I hope that some of these work for you, and that I was of some help :wink:

4. MickH

I think a sports bra would be a good start; high impact or compression is probably your best bet. You could try layers, I'm a 36C/D and a sports bra and two shirts makes me look much flatter.
    I've heard of people making a binder out of a old pair of tights, it doesn't work for me at all, but for people with a smaller chest, it looks like it helps!
    From my experience, button up shirts tend not to cling as much as t shirts, so if it's not too hot maybe a t shirt and then a button up? Men's/boy's sweaters are good as well, I've found cheap ones in the men's department of Old Navy and in the boy's section of H&M.
    Also, when I wear a beanie I look much more androgynous.
    I've seen things online about make up that can help hide your more feminine features.
    I have large shoulders and upper arms which makes me look less feminine, so maybe working out to build up your shoulders and arms would help?
    For pants, I really don't know as I always just wear ladies' skinny jeans.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Voice is not only about pitch, its also about intonation and mannerism...
    Men tend to speak more monotone, while female voice is more like a singsang... men tend to be more direct... and men tend to use fewer words, going not so much into detail...

You might play around a bit with a ponytail or hairclips, without making permanent changes to hairstyle...

Yes its a stereotype but plaid button down shirts, not too thin, might help...