1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trans advantage?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kelp Krunch, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Kelp Krunch

So there's a thread by The Leryous on this page that talks about the positives that come out of being trans (which I completely agree with, just don't want to hijack the thread lol). There's no doubt that it's something that makes you stand out, if you let it of course. I'm coming to a point where I have to start applying for grad school and jobs, which are all about setting yourself apart and almost "gloating" about your accomplishments, which, going through a transition can certainly be viewed as such I think. So the question is, could this be a potential topic you divulge in an essay or interview? The most obvious consequence is you outing yourself, even if you've been full-time or whatever. And depending on your location or employer, etc., they may be more or less receptive. But a lot of people (I know from applying to undergrad) look to see how you've overcome obstacles and dealt with things in your life, and I think this situation definitely has its benefits in shaping who you are today so why not? It seems kinda weird treating what has been a stressful experience as a positive one, but it definitely can be done, really for any part of the lgbtq spectrum. I don't know, what do others think?

2. wanderinggirl

Regarding grad school: it depends on your program of study, your institution, etc. My grad institution has a diversity chair and the dean's office is closely connected with the lgbt employee group. But not every institution is like this, and not every program within the same institution would be as open. Try to seek out a graduate lgbt group (or undergrad/grad).

If you divulge your gender history, there are multiple ways to do so: for example if you've been heavily involved in trans/lgbt orgs, planning events, etc, then it makes a lot of sense to reveal that. Or if your area of study has to do with lgbt/trans issues then you should mention it. But don't assume that a highly competitive program will pick you over someone equally qualified just because you bring in diversity; it may work out that way or it may not.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

To be honest, I don't see any advantages to being trans.

It's fucking hell. Every day wishing you could have the body of the sex you're supposed to be...

We're just like regular guys/girls, but stuck in the wrong body

4. Kelp Krunch

That makes sense, kinda forgot about lgbt groups altogether. Involvement in such groups would definitely bring more to the table.

I definitely don't mean to downplay the hardships of being trans, which is why I said that it can be difficult seeing it in a positive light. I just think that it is possible to extract some positives out of the situation, as you might be able to from any other situation.