1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male vs Transmale?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KaydenWidz, Sep 30, 2014.

1. KaydenWidz

So Ive been referred to as a transmale, which is cool cuz I am, yanno? But...If there a point in transitioning where people will drop the trans and just call you a man/male? Or on the other side (MtF) a female? I mean, I dont want to invalidate "the struggle" but...I just want to be accepted. I just want to be a man. The trans makes me feel like they're just letting us "confused girls" use the term male to make ourselves feel better. I dunno, Maybe Im thinking too much into it. Anyway, the actual question is, is there a point where people will drop the trans and just call us male?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Short answer:

No.

Long answer:

I believe the "trans" adjective is, in some cases, necessary. Not always. For example, right now, I would call myself a boy and you a man. I would not call myself a trans boy and you a trans man because that will be irrelevant.

But if, say, you need help with paying with your transition, or if you are getting discriminated against because you are trans, it may help if you clarified that you are transgender. That is when it is relevant. Otherwise, I find the trans label unnecessary. You wouldn't introduce a gay guy as gay, would you? Or a straight guy as straight? Or a cis guy as cis? Trans people are no different.

As for why I said "no" in my short answer, it's because, as long as there are haters out there, they'll latch onto anything that they can exaggerate. You'll see some LGB people get this treatment too. The "gay best friend" thing is one example of this.

But it'll down tone eventually.

3. KaydenWidz

I figured it was something like that. I usually have to add trans when talking about myself because, they see masculine hair and clothing...with boobs. I have no binder yet. So I have to explain the large chest. Anyway thank you for answering the question. Awesome sauce

4. Hexagon

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had this discussion before. In the real world go with your desired gender, drop the trans part because you are male regardless of birth.

Most of us here just use trans to lend credence to our advice on transgender matters.

I wanna be one of the girls, why shout out anything to the contrary if I just want to belong?

6. RaveOnSpaceboy

I actually struggled with this a bit because we have male minds, and male identities, but our physical form is female and so we're treated as such while growing up, and there are years of what is essensially forced feminization. So despite our minds and identities, our experiences are wildly different from cis males.
    When I finally came out I had twenty years of being seen as female, but also twenty years of growing up, and struggling to orient myself, and I realised that I couldn't just pretend that I was always a man after I transitioned because I would be erasing or rewriting (fictionalizing) all of my formative years, and I couldn't do that.
    So while I think eventually you can quit explaining that you're transgender, and eventually with transition no one sees you as such, I don't think "trans" can ever really be dropped because it stands for your experience, which is unique.

I don't plan to introduce myself as a transguy, but I won't hide it from the people I'm close to either.

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

When I am farther in my transition, I will not tell the world I am trans. I will just call myself a guy because that's what I am.

8. stormborn

i always say male first, and if necessary, specify the trans later.

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I plan on going stealth once I've transitioned, no one needs to know besides any future partners I might have. I just call myself male everywhere else, I only use trans on this website because it's relevant