1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little rant & a little happy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KayJay, Sep 30, 2014.

1. KayJay

Here we go, this may be a long post...

Last year I changed my name legally. The process was pretty lame and costly, although compared to some states in the US it seems quite cheap here. Anyways it was quite the process to update my birth certificate then my photo ID and then my health card. Then I had to go around to all these places like my bank and update my name there too. It's pretty cool because my bank actually let me put Ms. on the new credit card as my title. So the last thing I needed to update was with the disability office. I have been on disability for almost a year now and it has always been hard to contact my case worker. So I had to call reception because I could never get in contact with my case worker (her mailbox is always full!). So reception says to update my name I fax in photocopies of all the typical things like SIN, birth certificate, ID, etc. I had also put on the cover of the fax that I would like it if they could change my title from Mr. to Ms. as each month the mail is sent to Mr. Lame Old Name. I fax that all in and get a call back 2 weeks later saying it was all too blurry and they can't process it. She also told me the machine assigns title based on the gender and since it was still male I would have to be Mr. Kelsey, ugh... She said to rescan and fax it with a better fax machine so I did.

So earlier today I decided to give them a ring. It had been 3 weeks since I sent in the stuff and had gotten no email or calls. Of course no answer for the number of the lady who called me back the first time. My case worker didn't answer either (full mailbox still) and reception wouldn't pick up after 40 minutes on the line. I hang up and am super flustered at this point. I went out after that to do stuff with friends and I get back home to see my dad got the mail. Bam, one for me! Ms. Kelsey Last Name. They got the second fax and updated it but just never let me know! So that was a good way to kind of end the day. I feel relived really, it was the last thing I needed to update name wise. It took over a year and a half but my name is now the same everywhere.

But now I face another very similar challenge, although perhaps even a bit tougher. I am going to change the sex designation on all my IDs. So basically I have to do the same thing again except instead of my name it is for my gender. I think it will be harder than the name because it is a much more specialized thing. Just for the birth certificate alone I need 3 forms to fill out, $97 and a letter from my doctor. That is just for one thing! Then I need to use the new birth certificate to change it on my photo ID, health card, SIN... gosh darn this is going to take forever and likely cost me a small fortune since I really don't get that much money.

Not really sure how people will respond to this thread. I just kind of wanted to write it all out and talk about it. I didn't feel like writing in my diary, typing seemed easier to me right now.

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

KelsC, you go girl! :slight_smile: Dealing with the frustration of governments, forms, and all that isn't easy, and you deserve a (*hug*) for fighting the good fight. :slight_smile: Wish II could help more, but know that I'm on your side, OK?

3. AsheTheHuman

I knew the process was long and a pain in the butt, but i didn't know to that extent. But in a year's time it'll all be worth it ^_^ Short term pain for long term gain, yeah? Thanks again for the other day. <3

4. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow you go girl! I wish i could change my name from Anthony (ugh!) To Anastasia (totes fab!!!)

5. SockPuppet

Yaaay Kelsey! You're kicking ass on this battle...and I bet the designation change won't be nearly as bad as you dread.
    I may harass you in a couple months when I start the process of my own name change for step-by-step instructions of what you went through, as having someone who's already been through it in Ontario would be super helpful. :wink:

6. KayJay

I would definitely be glad to answer questions.

It's just weird to feel like I have accomplished something big but at the same time I am not even half way done the legal stuff. Then there is physical stuff too, so much to change and do and buy!

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoo hoooo, so happy for you sweetie. one step ahead of the other and you'll get there.(*hug*)