1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I noticed something that's really confusing to me...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IS92, Sep 30, 2014.

1. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've noticed that whenever I'm at work, I tend to play up the "feminine" aspects of my behavior.
    I'm pretty secure in my masculinity at this point, so... It's really weird.
    I'm a cashier at a gas station, and whenever I'm actually talking to a customer, my voice jumps up an octave, and gets this really sugary-sweet tone. I really hate it, and it does not help me in any way, but I still do it anyway, like it's on some kind of subconscious level. Even weirder: if I finish speaking with a customer and I turn to talk with a coworker, my voice drops back to my normal speaking pitch. Doesn't matter if the customer I was just talking to is still there or not.
    I dunno. It's just something I noticed and went "Whaa?" about. I'm also trying to figure out if it's something that I do because I'm trying to be "nice" (I'm not generally a people person; not with the people in my area) or if I'm worried someone will call me out if I act in a masculine way. So... I guess what I'm really wondering is... does anyone else do things like this?

2. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ooh yeah i do it all the time, whenever i get a phone call or meet a stranger i tent to get a higher softer more sugar coated voice rather when im with people i know.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I do this all the time, when I'm talking to someone I don't know very well and I try to sound polite my voice automatically gets very high pitched :dry:
    I need to concentrate more and stop doing it, I get voice dysphoria every time

4. SockPuppet

I think this may be a retail wage slave/customer service thing. I notice when I'm at work and answer the phone, I sound more high pitched and feminine (in fact I must usually confuse people because I have to go by the boy name at work because I'm not out, and yet sound like a girl answering, and they constantly ask me to repeat my name). I actually wish I could figure out where my voice is when I'm answering the phone at work because I like it, and would like to sound like that 100% of the time. But I'm never thinking about analyzing it, it only occurs to me after I'm off the phone.

Anyway, I wonder if maybe we're programmed in this world, or in North America, or what have you, that when we're being more pleasant (which is pretty much mandatory when working in customer service), we speak a little more politely, a little softer, a little more..."feminine", for lack of a better term. Maybe?

5. wanderinggirl

I think everyone, even cis men, do this: tone

""The more threatened or aggressive an animal becomes, the lower and harsher its voice turns--thus, the bigger it seems"
    "The softer pitch is innately "friendly," and suggests a nonaggressive, nonhostile pose."

So it seems that we're conditioned to perceive higher pitches as less aggressive, hence more polite.

If it bugs you maybe you can play with intonation; practice speaking in a low non-monotone voice, or something... enlist a friend to test it out on, or record yourself to see how the tone comes off. But yeah, generally people will always tend to view a high-pitched voice as you deferring to them, being smaller than them, being at their service; which, in customer service, is part of the job description.

I use this voice all the time, it's frustrating. Sometimes I can't lower my pitch because nervousness or tension raise my voice; but sometimes I speak in a breathier/higher pitch when thanking someone for holding a door, or when apologizing to someone, or when I'm feeling unsure about something.

6. SockPuppet

Ok, wanderinggirl just said that all waaay better than I did...