1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing Skirts at School

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Little Greyjoy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Moving back to college in late August, I decided to leave what little cross-dressing stuff I had back at home, figuring I wasn't going to use it here. However, now I've really been wanting to be a bit more feminine and I'm dealing with a bit of anxiety because of it. I don't want to go full out cross-dressing here, as I'm not good enough at it to show the world how I look yet.

What I do want to do is just put on a skirt, or a dress, maybe some leggings, and go out like that. No wig, no make up, nothing changed except the clothes I wear. I could easily go to the nearest thrift store or supermarket and get what I want to wear. It's not really an issue of sexuality, rather it is an issue of social norms and gender roles. But the problem is, I'm scared. People here know me, recognize me, they're my teachers and classmates and co-workers, and while I'm not really afraid of what they think, I'm still nervous to do it, despite wanting to.

What do you think I should do?

2. DoriaN

I think you should do it and share pictures ^^

Fear is a common thing, but not being able to be yourself is even scarier, AND depressing.

3. If I do it I'll so get pictures and probably blog it for all of y'all. But it's easier said than done. My school is pretty traditionalist and Christian, so I can imagine I'll be judged quite a bit.

4. DoriaN

Which is unfortunate because as a Christian any such judgments goes against our beliefs. The problem is most Christians haven't even researched or asked about their own faith, rather using it as a label.

You can likely imagine my personal struggles regarding my family, extended family, local churches etc.

Just remember men used to wear skirts, fashion is only determined by current societal choices but changes over time.
    Names, clothing, rituals, customs, they're all fluid and it is only when people misuse the Law for bigotry do issues get out of hand.

5. I suppose you're right. As I said it's more of a social norm being broken than an act of sexual orientation. But I doubt it'll be interpreted that way by my peers.

6. DoriaN

Even if it was regarding sexual orientation it wouldn't matter, if /anyone/ says that being gay means you're going to hell, they categorically are not truly Christian or else they better repent.

Regardless, yes breaking current social norms isn't exactly an easy or comforting thing, but no one has the right to judge you without making themselves a hypocrite.

7. I suppose you're right. But it doesn't make it any less scary though. I don't know, maybe it's just me at this point.

8. DoriaN

No no you're right! I was just trying to help give confidence that from a religious standpoint you shouldn't have to worry.

Personally? I'd be just as scared as you. Just know you SHOULDN'T feel shame, and if anything negative does come towards you it is certainly not of God, if anything use it to test your mettle; your resolve!

Row row fight tha powah.

All that junk :3

9. Well thank you. I'm glad you're so supportive, and Im glad you spoke up to back me up on this potential decision :slight_smile:

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try wearing a kilt. It's traditional dress for Scottish men, but to most people, it is still a skirt.

11. MisterTinkles

You might try easing the things you want to wear into a standardized wardrobe, until people get used to seeing you wear such things, then coming in one day in tights and skirt wont be much of a shock.

Example:

Wear Tshirt and jeans for the first week.
    Wear Tshirt and jeans and shoes with pink in them the second week.
    Wear a "girly" Tshirt and jean, with shoes with pink in them for a couple weeks.
    Keep adding one little item every week or two, and let people who see you get used what your "style" is.

Then, after a month or two, most people probably wont be shocked or surprised to see you in leggings and a skirt.

Just a thought.

12. Well, that's a good idea, but I kinda want to stick to my original plan. I guess I just need the bravery to put the clothes on and go outside.