1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She thought it was a joke...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IS92, Oct 7, 2014.

1. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I finally got up the guts to ask my sister to call me by the right pronouns/name... And though she took it well when I told her I was questioning my gender a while back and has generally been supportive, she automatically assumed I was joking when I asked.
    I have no idea how to respond to this. I'm not exactly a gutsy person irl in the first place, so even bringing it up was kinda big for me, and being treated like that simple request was a joke was more painful than I would have thought. But that's not the point.
    I guess what I'm asking is how can I convince her that I'm not joking? That this is really what I want and who I am? She's probably the only family member I thought would take me seriously, and if she doesn't, I don't know how I can expect anybody else to. :help:

2. DoriaN

As I see it there's no quick or easy answer other than "Tell her".

Next time she messes up a pronoun just act like she should know better and correct or chastize her. If she still thinks it's a joke after that she might have issues.
    Or if you're the rude vindictive type you can reverse pronouns back to her and see how she feels, but I don't recommend that seeing as it is a petty and passive aggressive way to prove a point and that's likely not yet necessary.

Just chat, think of it as bravery practice!

3. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's always good to build trust among you two. My brother and I have always been in a very fairly similar position like you and your sister. Sorta. We always used to talk things out, I eventually told him I was bisexual and it gets to the point where the in-depth emotional conversations you have aren't such a strain anymore. It simply becomes a hesitant conversation where it's ok to tell. Of course, we talked to each other a lot over the years, but in your wonderful case :grin:

Just basically sit down with her and talk to her. Pour out to her, tell her that' you'd like to be referred to by the proper pronouns and that it is not a joke. Emphasize that. This is not a joke. If she doesn't understand it at that point, try maybe once or twice, give her time if you must, but there might come a point when it's going to be her issue, and her sole issue alone, and that's not your problem.

4. ClearlyClaire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a similar situation with my own sister. Talking it out really helps once things are crystal clear. Hopefully everything will go well.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sorry to hear that. I suggest having another talk with her.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would even suggest it being a serious talk, lest she think you are joking again.

7. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to sit her down and try talking to her about it again. I'm kinda scared that she'll react badly when she realizes I wasn't joking, but... it's better to give it another shot than to let it stay like this.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother is questioning if I know what I want. He hasn't seen me as female but... i feel you brother.

10. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I managed to talk to my sister about it again, and though she at first gave me one of the most confused looks I've ever seen from her, she said she would "watch her words." I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm a little bit nuts now that I've gotten it across to her that I'm serious, but... It's definitely a step in the right direction, and it's a better reaction than I'd hoped for. :slight_smile: