1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wolf runner, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Wolf runner

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Without going over the laundry list of available therapists, although that would be nice in the San Diego area :lol:

Basically, I'm 15 and sorta plain tired of living another year of pure hell without talking to anyone. I've straight out mentioned to my mom that I need a therapist, although not a gender therapist, and she simply isn't receptive to the idea. She either avoids it, or tells me that I can talk to her and that I'm not crazy. Money and healthcare is also an issue, Obamacare takes a while

I'm probably going to just straight out tell her that I need to see a gender therapist and I'm guessing from there she'll figure it out, but I don't necessarily think I'm prepared for the questions she'll ask. Essentially, as different questions not as a conversation, vice versa "Why? Is everything ok? What's going on" and those types of things. I just kinda want to see a therapist easily, a gender therapist, but not have to tell her the truth, which would be nice until I actually muddle through this. Any advice? I do plan on telling her anyways sooner or later which is almost always interchangeable with coming out as trans.

2. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

The most you can do is stress the importance of the benefits of therapy. If push comes to shove then tell her that you need help with some things or you want to talk with someone outside of the family about what's going on. Another misconception people have about therapy is that only people who have huge, serious issues seek therapy and that might be why she's hesitant. Explain to her that there is no crisis to be averted and that you just need help from a professional to sort things out.

I know some therapists are crazy expensive, but it's not exactly the best industry to make a living. However, it can be done. I know it's not a super awesome fun thing to do, but you can do little things to raise some money. There are so many creative ideas now to do so. If none of that sounds appealing, then I'm afraid the only thing you have left is to wait. I'm sure you'll find a way to make it happen!