1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping help: FTM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RalphHenry, Oct 10, 2014.

1. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

So, I've gathered the courage to go out and actually get some guy clothes. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing though. I've never seriously shopped for men's clothes; only a t-shirt I thought was cool here and there. I mainly need tips on pants. I don't know how they should fit since I am biologically a girl.

Are there certain articles of clothing I should try out first to get a feel for the sizing? I've worn boxers and men's t-shirts to bed since I can remember, but I really need help with day clothing. I really don't like the amount of time trying things on and being unsure about it takes, so is there a way to be sure without trying a million things on?

Also, I am not completely confident being in the guy section and looking for myself. Every time I set foot in there I feel like I shouldn't be there and I'm not allowed, but my brain says "Oh, wow, that sweater would look fantastic on you!" Is there a way to get rid of that feeling?

I know this is going to sound like the weirdest thing ever, but what am I supposed to do when I'm shopping with friends or family and they ask if I wanna check out the girl section? I'm no where near ready to come out. What do I say when people I know ask me why I'm wearing guy pants or button ups? I wore a polo and bow tie to school last year one day and another guy asked me why I was wearing a bow tie. I have never dressed that masculine since. That really pushed my confidence level down.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #2 jay777, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, people don't care. Even if you're being read as female, it's not weird at all to be in the men's section. I know female identifying, hetero, conservative women who love shopping the men's section because they fit better or the prices are better. No one's gonna even bat an eyelash if you give those reasons. You like the cut better or the price or whatever. Totally fine.

When my mom would try to get me to go to the female section I'd amuse her for a while saying "I don't like that at all" and find myself wandering to the sections I preferred >.> you can try it see if that works xD

I'd strongly recommend doing second-hand clothing stores if you have a good store you can go to. That way, if you get some stuff that you later find out really don't work that well for you... no big deal. It's how I started and I'm glad I did because that's exactly what happened for me. I think it's pretty normal that you might need to do some experimenting and see what you like. Now I can pretty much just pull something off the rack and buy it and it'll be great. Guides are good though.

Jeans and pants can be tricky. The first number you see is the waist measurement. The second is the inseam. So a 34 30 would be someone with a 34" waist and 30" inseam. You can measure these things at home. Inseam is your crotch to however long you want it to be, usually the ground or thereabouts. That will give you a basic idea of where to start looking. Obviously the different cuts will fit you differently and manufacturers might not always follow the rules to a T so try them on.

Last but not least, everyone's body is different. What might work for one might look awful on another. Try things out and find things you LIKE and ENJOY. HAVE FUN with it! Hope this helps.

#3 Ronin, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. laut

Out Status:
    A few people