1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Acceptance

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Auren, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone have any advice on how to accept yourself when you are gender non-conforming?

I feel like a failure of a human being.

2. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well i would try meditation, i do meditation and yoge to relax and try to stop my dystorphya

3. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

Everyone goes through their own process in self acceptance. For some it takes months, others decades. I won't go on and on about that because every one and their mothers have been lectured enough about that.

I mainly find it helps to repeat certain phrases in your head. Tell yourself it's ok and you are who you are. Some people even "come out" to themselves by looking in a mirror and saying, out loud, whatever it is that's going on. For some reason the more you say something, the more concrete it feels and the more comfortable with the statement you become.

I know it's hard. That is a tough stage to get through, but once you're passed it everything gets better. You can start actually being yourself.

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I blame everyone else for my feelings of shame and insignificance. I mean, there's not really anything wrong with me. It isn't like I can help the way I am, and I don't think I should have to. It's society's fault, they're the ones pretending like there's only two ways to be, and either ignoring us or treating us like jokes.

You're not a failure of a human being. You're just under-represented (or worse, misrepresented) in the media and ignored by a petty binary society. Just because they haven't given you a reflection, that doesn't mean you're broken or damaged or wrong. You are the way that you are, you exist, and you're ok.

5. earthlvr510

ive been feeling like this a lot lately, especially today. I cant really offer any advice but you are not alone. just because most people don't see us doesn't mean were not here, keep fighting :slight_smile:

6. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You're not alone. There are many others.
    Just accept yourself...

You might have a look at this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/150966-androgyne-identity.html#14

I'd say take your time... explore your feelings... and enjoy yourself along the way... it can be fun... playing a bit with nice styles, for example... :slight_smile:

You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

Yes... and maybe a bit of exercise... or walking the dog...

(*hug*)(*hug*)

#7 jay777, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  8. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*) You are not a failure. (*hug*)