1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose a new name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PerfectlyNormal, Oct 12, 2014.

1. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well tell your story what your not born gender name is and how it came about.

Mine was easy my initials spelled Jen and that's the only reason why I chose it.

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still need a new name. My given name is two very girly names mashed together, neither of which has a male counterpart; and my middle name is Chinese for "grace" (I think), which is a feminine trait. Just my luck, of course.

#2 Tai, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. Acm

Acm Guest

I chose the name Max, I had about 3 names I really liked, and I settled on the one for the first name. I don't know how I found the name or got so attached to it, it just happened to be one of the first names that popped into my head

4. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

I chose Ralph for my first name and Henry for my middle name. I honestly have no idea where Henry came from. It just sounded good with Ralph and my last name. I have a few reasons for picking Ralph though.

I always thought "R" was an uncommon first name letter. That's just my opinion. It is a Scandinavian and Germanic name; which my ancestry is heavily consisting of. One of the meanings of it is: strong. That spoke to me obviously when trying to pick a masculine name, but it suits my character. It's also an old name that you don't hear too much anymore and I wanted to bring it back. It's the name I wanted to give my first son before I discovered I was trans. I love Ralph Lauren and Ralph Fiennes(even though he pronounces his name differently from mine).

Lastly, when I was a freshman in high school we were required to read "Lord of the Flies". It's a book that seems like a fun little tale about boys rough-housing on an island until help comes, but it's telling a larger story of human's sense of innate evil and savagery. Anyways, the main character, Ralph, symbolizes order or an organized society. He stuck to his beliefs through the whole story and did in fact push for order against Jack (who was a complete idiotic psycho). I think Ralph was a wise character and stood for a lot of good things.

So there's my story. The name I chose is no where near my real name. To be honest, I didn't want a name close to my birth name because my birth name causes me a lot of dysphoria. I did have a little trouble associating with it at first because it was so different, but I've gotten used to it. Also, signing in to EC every time with my name helps me associate with it even more. I feel like I made a good choice and it's a name I won't mind having the rest of my life. The only downside is that some people associate it with puking, yay!

5. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    I chose anastaisa because in one of my books my fav character is an equestrian, her name is Anastasia my middle name is lynn

6. eofox

I spent months upon months looking at names online. I still haven't found a middle name, and I'm deciding whether or not to change my last name. (My last name is ridiculously unique, and I'd rather people not know my birth name from a simple search on Google.) Anyway, most of the names I really liked, important people in my life had. I feel like I may have read half a baby book of names before I found any that stuck, and I ended up choosing none of those.

The name I eventually stuck with was Zoey. It's a name I've always liked, but haven't really known anyone with. It also fits my personality super well. After deciding on the name, I looked up it's meaning and it means "life". I liked this especially as, in a way, it kind of is a new life. As well as choosing life over death. I have been in some extremely dark places in my life, and it's a kind of a shout to the world that I will endure.

I'm still not out to many people, and I can almost never go out as myself. But choosing a name does give a kind of hope to you, as you have a name for that inner self hiding behind all the walls that wants to show itself to the world. And when things get tough, you can feel the strength within, and keep pushing, knowing that eventually you will make it, no matter how hopeless it seems now.

7. DoriaN

I kept my name.

It's unisex, so win.

8. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My full male name (not legal, but maybe eventually) is Samuel Ian Emrys. Samuel appeared in a dream about male names (I have weird dreams, lol), and it just kind of stuck with me. Ian... I'm not really sure where that one came from. I just heard it and liked the way it sounded. And Emrys... well, I'm a bit of a nerd, and I was watching the show Merlin and decided I wanted an Arthurian name. Emrys was my favourite, so I stuck it into my name. And then of course, there's my last name, which I'll probably keep.

9. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    My non legal future full name is going to be Anastasia lynn Williams

10. Acm

Acm Guest

Oh I forgot to mention earlier but I want my middle name to be Charles, so it'll be Max Charles in the end.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't really settled on anything completely. But I've been considering Trevor for a while now. Trevor Emmerson. It's more masculine than I initially wanted to go, but I do like it.

12. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Jesse Mark. I made a whole list of names I liked so I could choose one that fit. Jesse came from Bridge to Terabithia, and it just seemed to fit me best. Mark was an impulsive decision (inspired by, but not chosen because of, the character on Grey's Anatomy) but it stuck.

13. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

After a couple months of online and book research, I chose the name Aster James. A reflection on my new identity but also tied back to my cis-beginnings and I go by the nickname A.J. The nickname helped in those first few weeks as I got used to my new name because my birth name starts with the same letter.

14. confusedperson

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's still not set in stone, but I'm 95% sure I'm going to go with Allison Anne _____. That's the name I was supposed to be given at birth. My parents were actually expecting a girl, and when I came out a boy they gave me my father's name. Hoping when I come out to them it helps show that I'm not changing into anything other than who I was supposed to be.

15. MickH

I use a more gender neutral nickname that some of my friends called me before I identified as NB; but I still use my birth name too.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

17. CuddleBunny

The name I like and would prefer to go by would be Mackenzie. My Mom has said before that if I had been born a Girl (or at least in a female body) that I would have been named Michelle, which is a name I absolutely loathe for various reasons. If I would have been named that I would have wanted to get it legally changed.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anastasia's my name. ^.^ I love it~.

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

That's such a cute-sounding name! :slight_smile:

19. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status: