1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my feelings about my identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Frostbite, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Frostbite

I've been questioning my gender identity lately. I'm female by birth but recently when I was cleaning I found a couple old diaries from elementary and middle school. After skimming through them I found that I had written "I don't feel like a normal girl" a lot. After my first few incidents with sexual harassment, I had written "I wish I was a boy" a few times. Seeing that I wrote those brought up some memories about those times and I've been questioning ever since. I'm happy I'm a girl, and I like having the body I do. I remember being in middle school and always asking what it would feel like to have a man's body. I'm confused because I've never felt any dysphoria about my gender. My boyfriend is afraid I'm trans, but I don't feel like I'm trans. If I am though, I'll lose almost everything, and that scares me a ton. I feel like some days I want to wear boys clothes and have short hair and all that, and other days I wish I had long hair and want to be super girly and wear a dress. I've never seen myself as anything but female. I'm really confused and if anyone has any idea what can say to make myself and my boyfriend feel better it'd be much appreciated.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

If you don't feel like you're trans then I think you probably aren't. If you wrote that you wish you were a boy after being sexually harassed, it sounds more like you were wishing that so you could escape the harassment that is often targeted towards women, and not because you were trans.

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most days I want to wear boy clothes and I can't imagine having long hair, but other days I want to wear dresses. Wanting to wear dresses doesn't make me less trans, because I do want to be male, or at least, to be taken as one socially and to have a more male appearance.

If you've never seen yourself as anything other than female, though, I'd say you're probably not trans.

If you feel like you don't fit in the little boxes, and you do see yourself as female, you could be a gender non-conforming girl. Which is perfectly fine! It would explain why you felt different from other girls (while still seeing yourself all this time as female), why you like to dress boyishly, etc.

4. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if you were full trans, you would have experienced dysphoria by now. It sounds to me like you may be genderfluid, or you might just be a girl who has boyish moods from time to time.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Mister Jace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some aforementioned statements may be something to look into. To me, it sounds like androgynous/genderqueer/similar would be a potential reality for you. If you want to be masculine sometimes, and feminine other, that's completely fine and more than acceptable. If you don't ever feel dysphoric or like you'd want to live as a male over a female (body-wise and similar) then the likelihood of you being trans is less than likely, although your fears may be cloaking some minor denial.
    Regardless, androgynous, etc may be your best bet, if anything. There are varying degrees of femininity and lack thereof for all genders and identities, and figuring out where you lay on that scale may be your answer.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Oh yeah I forgot to say this earlier but it's perfectly normal to be a girl that isn't always very feminine. If you like being a girl, then I don't see any reason to change

8. Frostbite

Thank you all so much for the replies so far! I was scared because even though my parents aren't homophobic, my mom is transphobic to the extreme. My boyfriend isn't transphobic but has a lot of trouble with the idea of me being anything but female because his mom left his dad because she, now he, was trans. That was literally his biggest fear when we started dating. I like the idea of being boyish in appearance, but that might be because I have four brothers. I have mentioned to my friends before that I don't like my hair unless it's really short and masculine or very long and feminine. I just prefer keeping it short for utility's sake. I had a feeling I might be genderfluid, and what you're all saying makes me more confident in that thought.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You sound like a cis girl to me.

10. siddharthachi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Frostbite- thanks for sharing. I think it's an incredibly good thing, although perhaps disconcerting because of what you perceive to be the countless masses of wagging fingers who might think otherwise, that you are having this conversation and asking these questions. To offer a suggestion/thought from what is most certainly a very different place in the spectrum of the conversation about sexuality/orientation/identity, I would suggest that you try, ruthlessly, to sort out the voices/feelings in you that are part of the debate, that are *not* part of your authentic you, but rather just the internalized *s**** from everyone else. If other people in your life (alas, not surprisingly, given our culture) are weirded out about the notion that you might be trans, that could be affecting your clear thinking as to figuring out whether you really are. But have you consciously tried to put aside what you perceive to be the conventional binary default setting of everyone else, and considered the possibility that there is some other stage in your journey that is before you. Good luck with your search.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound like a non-conforming female or a crossdresser.