1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Entrian, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might have the opportunity to start HRT really soon, but I'm trying to figure out how much being on testosterone will cost? I have some insurance through school but I'm still going to have to pay some out of pocket. I live in california if that makes any difference, but I'm really just looking for a ballpark. Any help is appreciated.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of this depends on how you plan to take the T, and how much is covered (if any) by your insurance.

Shots (if self-adminstered) are usually the cheapest. Gels, creams and patches are usually more expensive.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It kind of depends on your insurance and whether HRT or anything trans-related is covered. I do know that, if there isn't, there's billable insurance codes you can acquire or ask an endocrinologist or doctor about that your insurance might cover. Even then, the residual can be either pretty expensive or fairly affordable (anywhere between the $100-$25 range per script). It honestly depends on a variety of factors.

And yes, injectable hormones tend to be cheaper than gels. On another note, Strohecker's Pharmacy sells testosterone for a decent price, at least compared to other pharmacies (and yes, a prescription is required).

4. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your insurance covers it, you will only have to pay whatever your normal copay is ($10-25 per prescription is the range I tend to see). If your insurance won't cover it, you should use Strohecker's like Oddish suggested. They sell 10mL vials of testosterone for under $60, which includes needles, syringes, alcohol swabs, and shipping to your house. Depending on your dosage, that vial will last you 4-7 months. In the world of prescription drugs, testosterone is dirt cheap.

Unless your insurance covers it, I would not suggest gels or patches. They can run you over $100 a month and some people have noticed that their changes don't happen as fast as they do with injections. That part is anecdotal of course, so take it with a grain of salt, but why risk it? The cheaper way is consistently better so it's a win-win unless you have an insurmountable needle phobia.