1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past Dysphoria and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RalphHenry, Oct 19, 2014.

1. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

So, I've been thinking a lot about my younger years and it's very clear to me that I was always trans. When I was a toddler, most of the pictures I'm walking around in pants only. In elementary and middle school I wore jeans and guy's graphic t-shirts. I was mistaken for a boy in sixth grade and I was shocked that it honestly didn't hurt my feelings.

I love history; always have. I admired all the great men and wanted to be like them when I was younger. I started wearing boxers to sleep and I remember it feeling strangely good. I mean, when you put on a certain article of clothing it shouldn't feel that relieving. I always had more guy friends. I was always a "tomboy". I didn't care for make up until I even tricked myself in eighth grade into thinking I was obsessed with it. I just always felt kind of awkward in it.

Then I was thinking deeper. I thought of how most trans people have excruciating dysphoria and how mine was never extremely bad. That's when I remembered a few things. All through middle school I had long hair. I avoided getting it cut for whatever reason, but when I entered high school I remember begging my mom to let me get a pixie cut. She agreed, but kept putting the appointment off until I told her I can't deal with my long hair anymore. I remember being on the verge of a panic attack and tears. I told her I couldn't make it another week with long hair, so I made the appointment. I couldn't express the literal and emotional weight that was lifted off my shoulders. I think I wrote in another post how I remembered subconsciously saying "Yay! It looks like a boy's hair now!" That was probably the worst dysphoria I have experienced. I honestly don't have "genital dysphoria" that bad, but it's another story when it comes to my chest.

Anyways, I thought a little deeper. I was in two of my mom's friend's weddings as a flower girl. I recall not being happy with the title, but I was no more than eight and didn't understand. In both weddings, I cried non stop after the ceremony to go home. Looking back, I think that was because I wanted to change out of the awful dresses I was forced into. I look AWFUL in dresses. I just wanted to sit in the pew with my step dad. I remember walking down the aisle with the other girl and seeing him for the first time that day in a suit. I remember wanting to I wear his tie.

Remembering all this stuff has caused me a lot of dysphoria and anxiety lately. I'm so sick of having to try so hard to feel normal in my skin. I just want to fast forward to the time where I'm on T and have had top surgery. I keep telling myself maybe it's time to come out, but then I remember I have incredibly homophobic/transphobic/you-name-it-phobic grandparents (and I love them more than anything in the world and they feel the same way back). I've got to tell my parents though because I can't stand the thought of wearing another pair of skinny jeans or a dress on the weekends anymore. My chest dysphoria is starting to get to the point where I NEED an actual binder and the only way to get one is to come out. Sports bras aren't doing the trick anymore; I don't want to see a single little bump.

I really need to start seeing a gender therapist too. I'm starting to feel really down about where my body is at right now. I'm internalizing everything right now and it's driving me insane. I just need to get everything that I'm feeling out. I've never said the words out loud that need to be said. I just can't hide myself at home for too much longer. I'm overwhelmed with the feeling that my emotional bubble is about to burst and I will just lose it one day.

I'm sorry this is such an unreasonably long post that's sort of all over the place, but I needed to get it out somewhere. I've started hinting that everything isn't ok to my mom. She showed me this girly top in a magazine this morning and asked if I thought it was cute; I just looked at it funny and didn't answer. I picked up a magazine and said how much I liked certain guy clothes in it. She kind of picked up on it because she said "That's funny how you only like the men's stuff in there." Sometimes I wish she would just ask if she detects something fishy.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I can relate to a lot of what you said here, I had pretty similar childhood experiences too. I think that if your mom isn't transphobic, you could consider coming out to her soon. I tried to hint at stuff with my mom but she just thought I was a lesbian.

3. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

Same with me. In middle school my mom took me aside and said "You know it's ok if you're a lesbian." That kind of hurt my feelings that she would assume that. I know she's completely supportive of the gay community, but I don't think she understands gender identity. She knows what vaguely knows what transgender means.