1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does dysphoria feel like for you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Oct 22, 2014.

1. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

For me, it's mostly about my chest :icon_sad: (I really wish I had my binder back). Sometimes I remember that I technically have a female upper body, and this feeling of disgust/shame/nausea will wash over me…. :tears:

Occasionally, I also feel weird about my waist. It's very small and feminine. Sometimes I'd just get this feeling about it, like it's too narrow for some reason…. Have any other trans* guys experienced that?

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    Height is my biggest cause of my physical dysphoria, then my chest. I always used to say 'my body is more of a woman than I am'.

What's worst for me though is my social dysphoria, I absolutely hate being gendered.

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

@laut Yeah, I'm 6 inches shorter than the average guy T_T Luckily, the rest of me is sorta androgynous, so I can pass as an eleven-year old, heh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YES I HATE BEING GENDERED TOO. "Young woman", "ma'am", "she", "her"-

NO STOP I AM MALE :bang:

4. Unkempt Harold

I feel like I'm really lucky to be so skinny and feminine looking already. ^.^

But I'm like 6,2 X'(
    I wish I could be short. NOTHING fits

5. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Can we PLEASE switch heights?!

6. Unkempt Harold

Omg yes!!!

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

My friends all laugh at me because when I write stories, my characters are all over 6 feet tall. And then here I am, at barely 5'3" :dry::bang::dry:

Seriously, if there was a way to switch heights, I WOULD DO IT. (!)

8. DoriaN

Physical mental and social.

I'm tall, mesomorph, and have some sharp face features that I might fix with FFS. I'm 5'11" height but coming to terms with that. My fingers were always lady-like but my palms are a little on the larger than I would like side.

Past the basics I think I also have a lot going for me physically, but my shoulders and face are my biggest concerns. I mean, besides my lower half. I don't /mind/ male genitalia, it's mostly just a tool to me, but I despise the bulge. There shouldn't be anything there. Why is there a mound? Why is there an outdent? Just why? Something's not right.

I also always felt I had a phantom chest.

See this picture of me?
    http://i.imgur.com/6sszsVl.jpg

I thought I was fat and had 'manboobs'.

Looking back at myself, sometimes I feel I make a more attractive male then female, but at the time I felt nothing less than ugly Dx

Mentally, I'm still coming to terms that I'm a woman, and a transsexual. I'm transitioning, but I haven't 100% fully accepted myself, and it causes dysphoria and anxiety feelings when in public or conversation.

Socially, any time gender roles or segregation is present I have anxiety dysphoria etc.
    I start sweating, getting nervous, getting depressed, worried, neurotic, etc.
    Having to do male things or be associated as male gives me great discomfort overall.

I could really go on to list everything that gives me dysphoria or issues but these are the main points.

Oh, I also have/had nightmares about having body hair, even before I fully knew I was trans I had nightmares. I also had dreams where I was female and shopping and being a girl and those dreams always made me super happy, again before I knew I was trans.

9. KayJay

It used to be bad and I'd think of all sorts of my physical features. Height, face, shoulders, genitals, voice and other things. Now that I'm transitioning its definitely gotten better and a lot of the time I'm not even thinking about it. Usually now dysphoria just comes from my voice and being misgendered. Usually I'm misgendered because my ID says I'm male still so I get a lot of Mr. Kelsey on governent stuff or like today with my glasses. Its usually OK though cause almost every time I ask them to change my title in the system they do which is nice.

I suppose I went off on a tangent. Its usually just the misgendering and voice that cause dysphoria for me now. The voice is usually on the phone, when I'm in person people either don't gender me or usually give me a Ms., rarely Mr. but it does happen :frowning2:

10. laut

Out Status:
    A few people

I'm 4'11". Yeahhhhhh it sucks

11. Acm

Acm Guest

I get dysphoria from my chest, hips (I'm really curvy :dry:slight_smile:, genitals, and voice the most. There's a lot of other little stuff that bothers me though, like my height, and my hands. Or social stuff. Just constant reminders of how I'm not like the other guys.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Sometimes it isn't a focal point of my life, because I have other things going on. I've had to condition myself in the idea of, even if I am feeling dysphoric, indulging in that will do little to allow me, to complete my job, drive a car, tend to bills and other responsibilities. However, when I am alone, it can creep up, because I may not have anything to focus on.

For me, it feels similar to wearing a costume. You can still do what you want, and need to; you can see, feel, hear, and move about, but there is still someone -- the real you -- underneath it all. You can talk, and tell people who is there, but it is hidden behind a 'costume', something that isn't totally reflective of you. Even if you touch somebody, you're barricaded by this costume, while the actual flesh is just underneath.

What, usually, triggers my dysphoria, is just seeing women, out and about, embracing themselves, and I zone out. For a moment or two, I sort of become that woman, if that makes any sense. Also, when a group of women, are out and about, and just being themselves, it can really make me feel alienated and frustrated; I might think, that could be me... why isn't it me?

My body, itself, doesn't trigger dysphoria. But that is because, I've gotten used to it, for the most part. I feel like a spy, LOL. I perceive my biological body, as a curiosity of sorts. That has probably helped me out, in more ways than one, I am sure. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade my body, for the appropriate bodily frame and features. I mean, I have to take care of this body, or else, what will I have for my desired body?

#12 Kaiser, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah, my parents tell me that I'm a "very pretty girl" and would make an "unattractive boy"; I'm 5'3", very petite, have huge eyes/long eyelashes, and an annoyingly girly mouth. Sometimes I agree with them, and become insecure/dysphoric because of that :frowning2:

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2014 at 02:46 PM ----------

Voice, yeah. I've got a somewhat deep voice for a biological girl, but it's still ambiguous enough to warrant many "Ma'ams" and "Misses". Plus, when I'm excited or nervous, it drastically rises in pitch :icon_redf

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2014 at 02:51 PM ----------

Yessss, hips are SO annoying :bang: Mine are narrow-ish, and I tend to wear baggy jeans, but they're still kinda feminine :tears:

And as for social stuff: I tend to come off as very dramatic and effeminate - partially because I was raised as a girl, and partially because being dramatic helps me interact better (Aspie here). So people either think I'm a girl, OR they think I'm stereotypically gay (I'm straight).

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

I definitely get the costume comparison. That's exactly how I feel when I dress up like a girl: it feels like part of an act. The girl in the pink dress and lip gloss isn't the REAL me; the guy in the suit and tie IS.

14. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    chest, genitals, curves (hips, waist, ect.) and social stuff. I despise my birth name and female pronouns being used as well.

15. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I get dysphoria over my height, chest and voice a lot. I rarely talk because of it. And I'd kill to even be 5'3". I really hate being 5'1". No one takes you seriously when you're 5'1". :bang:
    But, that said, most of my dysphoria is social. If I hear the words "girl it up" one more time, I swear....:tantrum:

16. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah, I've got some genderqueer friends who are about 5'0", and when I stand next to them I feel really tall. But hey, short people are awesome! :thumbsup: After all, who else can walk through the doorways of historical dwellings without receiving multiple concussions? :grin:

And oh my God, yes. Juuuuust because I occasionally like to wear dresses, and have a minor obsession with lip gloss, does NOT make me a girl. Not even close. I also hate it when my parents tell me to "stop dressing dowdily" - aka wear skirts and earrings and cute tops.

Don't you also hate it when people (men or women) take a trait of yours and go "Oh, yeah, must be a female thing"?? NO. NO, IT'S NOT. AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

^ sorry, I just had this happen to me :eusa_doh: it was not pleasant

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2014 at 04:10 PM ----------

Yeah, hey, did anyone else ever get the feeling that their name just wasn't quite right for them? Even when I was younger, and had no concept of "transgender" or "dysphoria" or anything like that, I would get this weird sensation when someone said my name - like, "Are they talking to me? Oh right, that's my name. It doesn't FEEL like my name." It's not like I HATED my name - many people said it was a very pretty name - it's just that it didn't feel like MINE. It still doesn't. I'm so relieved when my friends use my chosen name :confused:

17. littleghost

ugh, i can relate to all of you. my height (i'm 5'3"), my chest (it's small but it's still there), my voice (i'm a cashier, i have to hear my own voice all day), genitals... and especially the simple fact that i'm 18, done growing, and me passing as a boy means me passing exclusively as like, a ten year old boy, maybe. i just have such a babyface, and these awful naturally tiny, light, and high-up eyebrows. plus, sorry to get all PG-13, but... i live with my boyfriend, and so we see a lot of each other, and on most days i'm fine but sometimes just seeing what he has reminds me of what i don't and it's just... sad.

beyond that my job always ticks me off. i can wear a binder and do my face and wear my man-pants and it still won't do anything for me because i still have a nametag. i can take it off, of course, but i stil get a bunch of "thank you ma'am"s from customers, and it's just a fun little reminder of how un-passable i am up close.

18. Poppyseed

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I seem to not think myself as anything, most of the time. I realize I'm a woman - biologically - and am pretty happy with that about 90% of the time. There are moments when male genitalia ideas crawl into my head but, truthfully, I waver from obsessive moments to just living life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my body doesn't really affect the way I feel, when I'm feeling manly and not womanly.

19. DoriaN

I'm the same. I'm bi, but I'm thinking of almost exclusively being with men so I feel reassured as 'the woman'. I don't want to feel like some sort of imitation or lesser gender.
    It sounds silly and maybe even petty, but if love happens it'll happen, but for now I want to be with a gender that compliments my own, not reflects it.

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Very, very bad dysphoria when it comes to my lack of height and small body frame, and lack of male genitalia.

I'm all the more dysphoric about the smaller details, as.. ridiculous as that seems. The hair on guys' forearms and their knuckles; veiny hands, broad shoulders. I hate how hairless my arms are, and how feminine my hands appear. My shoulders aren't very wide, and my hips still jut out more than the average male's, so. It irritates me that this is stuff that hormones can't really change for me, so I have to kind of suck it up, as much as deep down, it drives me insane.

My junk wasn't so much a problem earlier on, and I've been pretty happy about the growth I've had on hormones and being able to have sex in a way I preferred until recently, I guess. I don't even care for sex that much in the first place but when I'd rather have a penis to get that stuff done it just makes it all the more worse. It feels so fucking sad and invalidating.

Sigh, whatcha gonna do.