1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not really questioning, but... wondering?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by littleghost, Oct 22, 2014.

1. littleghost

Hi everyone, I'm nori (for now). I've basically been in some kind of gender purgatory since... Well, probably forever, but I've actually been thinking about it since... eighth grade, I guess? So for five years now. I'm clear on what I am now - which is DFAB, trans male. I was really stressed out for a couple years (about a year ago and before) about my gender. I was trying to pass as male for most of my junior year in high school, but something about it felt boring to me - which ended up being the fashion. I got kind of distracted by my boyfriend, who was my best friend at the time, and I just kind of gave up on passing in favor of cute, femme clothing and not being unable to breathe because I was binding with a friggin' belt... which brings me to my point: I know I'm male, dysphoria leaves no doubt about that - and I do really wish I had a male body. More than anything.
    I want to start T therapy as soon as I can, and I will get top surgery, and I'm still considering the rest but it's sorta likely. The thing is that I'm still very into femme fashion, and so I'm likely going to end up dressing "in drag" sometimes even after and during my transition, in addition to just wearing skirts over pants and maybe makeup most days. So I'm wondering if that'll make other people in the community and, more importantly, my eventual counselors and/or doctors, take me less seriously. I've spent so long wondering and researching and wishing already that I don't want to halt the process for myself just by dressing a certain way and being who I am. So, any thoughts?

2. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I totally get that - I kinda like drag, too, in small doses. Maybe you can point out that there are plenty of drag queens who identify as male despite wearing traditionally feminine clothes - and no one's questioning THEIR identification :slight_smile:

3. littleghost

that's true! thanks for pointing that out. i just feel almost guilty sometimes on days when i still go out wearing my favorite dress and bright red lipstick :eusa_doh: but that's true. and i guess really, as far as counselors go, i don't need to tell them about my dress addiction. :grin:

4. Poppyseed

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Transition has only fleetingly passed my mind but I do know that you should dress how you feel. Granted, there is a fear that people (even doctors and therapists) might treat you less seriously. But if you already are ready to transition, you really shouldn't let your urges to dress more feminine dictate who you transition to.

As the poster said above, men do dress in drag and no one questions their identity. I think you should just do what feels right to you.

5. littleghost

i think i will, thans for your input! of course, i'll probably be sure to dress totally masculine when i go see my doctors, once i start that, just in case... but otherwise i'll wear whatever i please~