1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hysterectomy questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NingyoBroken, Oct 23, 2014.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Hello again

I have been considering getting a hysterectomy in the future. Or more like, I feel I have no choice.
    I most likely have polycystic ovaries, which means high levels of testosterone causes cysts.
    When I take testosterone, those cysts can get so large they can put me in the hospital, according to a fellow trans guy who had the same problem and didn't know until it was too late.

Most likely, I will need to remove the ovaries (which now that I think about it, would probably reduce dysphoria anyways) before I get hormone therapy.

Now, I wasn't going to do this in the first place because, well, I couldn't see it, periods would stop when I go on T, so I could easily ignore that I ever had ovaries.

However, now there seems to be no choice, because I simply MUST go on T in the future. I couldn't stand being pre-T (and therefore unable to pass) forever.

So, I am very concerned about the pain of the surgery. It seems scarier than top surgery for some reason, probably because they have to go deep into your body...

My friend whom I mentioned earlier claims it is not as bad as top surgery when it comes to pain and recovery, but I've heard one guy got horrible pains the first day when trying to urinate, because he chose not to have a catheter bag. I will choose the same, as having one of those would be very nightmarish for me.

I already have a low pain tolerance, but internal pain is the worst for me.

TLDR: Any trans guys care to share your hysterectomy experience? How was the pain, was it really so excruciating the first day?

#1 NingyoBroken, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Unkempt Harold

I can't really speak for hysterectomy pain, but it can't be that bad ^.^

I mean my pain tolerance is through the roof but, still. You shouldn't fear surgeries in the same way you shouldn't fear roller coasters IMO.

Good luck btw!

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Thank you, but I need advice from people who have been through it.

Someone who fears surgeries is more logical than someone who fears rollercoasters, as surgeries are painful and can kill you.

4. Unkempt Harold

I'm sorry DX. I didn't mean to be so crass.

5. Hel

Hel

Well technically, roller coasters can kill you...

I didn't get that particular surgery myself but I know someone who did. According to her, it was both physically and psychologically painful. But she isn't trans* so in your case you probably won't have the second side of it... She was feeling pain in her lower stomach for months after the surgery (like when she had her periods, so like bad cramps I guess) and couldn't practice any sports or activities that would force her to move too much. Now, it has been a few years and apparently she still has problems related to that (but maybe she had complications during surgery or something...)

Hope it helps.