1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't get transphobia

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Unkempt Harold, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Unkempt Harold

It seems that most transphobic arguments (that don't involve religion) seem to based on mental illness. They seem to try to labels transitioning people as choosing to become X gender.

There's 2 things I don't get about this.

1. I'm preeetty sure that gender identity isn't 100% intrinsic to your chromosomes. I've read up on a ton of materiel provided on this website and some that I've sought out myself. (BTW you guys are awesome with that!) And along with feeling the way I do I find it hard to believe. Although as a skeptic I remain open to the idea that I could be wrong.

2. So what? What's wrong with being a cis gendered person deciding they want to change genders?

I don't get it :/

Hell if I could get change out bodies I'd do it all the time for fun! Fuck what you think. (!)

#1 Unkempt Harold, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. SockPuppet

I think it inherently goes back to the grade school mentality of "Oh, they're different, throw rocks at them", except the weapons change with age to things like words and ignorance and other such fun things.

3. Unkempt Harold

It's just so striking to see it in the secular community

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Sometimes it's unintentional. A friend once called top surgery "a real c*ckblock" - and she wasn't even TRYING to be offensive.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender is such an inherent societal construct that it is expected that sex conforms to gender roles. Even outside of religious reasons most societies and not just western civilization have expectations of gender roles.

6. Unkempt Harold

Correct me if I'm wrong but some of transphobia seems to be "men are going to pretend to be women to creep in women's bathrooms etc."

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yup. I've seen that soooo many times. It makes absolutely no sense. Any guy could just sneak in and hide WITHOUT dressing as a woman. Plus, they're missing the whole point of transgenderism. THAT AIN'T A MAN, PEOPLE. SHE'S A WOMAN.

Ooooh I just realized - I'm technically a guy, but I still have to use the women's loos. Am I a monster yet, Fox News?!

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally. But this stems from the idea that cis heteronormative males are supposed to be perverts and only interested in spying naked women.

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah, no, I don't think so. My cis guy friends, who are both bi, are awesome and do not act like that. Ever.

(Except this one dude who's just really weird :eusa_doh:slight_smile:

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotypes generally pollute the way a demographic is perceived.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

^ Yup. Definitely. I've encountered so many, arghhhh

12. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/DOH-Assets/pdf/doh-transgender-experiences.pdf
    ( What I do not like is on page 7 talking about stress... this is not what all people have experienced, and some experience relief...)
    "Research studies indicate that small parts of the baby’s brain progress along a different pathway from the sex of the rest of its body. This predisposes the baby to a future mismatch between
    gender identity and sex appearance."

So the concept of it having biological causes is not too long around, imO.
    And the concept of expressing it through a spectrum going i.e. from an almost androgynous look to transition.

This is something more and more people are familiar with... which is why I like the term transgender, its a newer term and has not so many connotations, imO.

I hope that newer generations understand it easier, having for example the choice of male and female players in games, having examples of game characters changing, etc.

#12 jay777, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  13. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's also the old gem that Trans women are just homosexual men who can't accept there sexuality.... >_>

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think I don't know that one too?

Funny though. More trans women I know consider themselves lesbian than straight.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes people uncomfortable. They grow up with a rigid idea of what gender is. They mix up gender identity, gender expression, and sex. When a notion comes that challenges these beliefs, they get very upset.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 03:45 PM ----------

And to think, these beliefs wouldn't even be present in them if someone didn't teach them to think this way.